VMware Cloud Community
efd120
Contributor
Contributor

Importing Microsoft VM's with mount point

I'm trying to import virtual machines from Microsoft Virtual Server 2.5 and I receive an error that the file might be corrupt, or of an unsupported format. I believe the errors are because the virtual machines have a second disk that is located on a mount point, not on the actual source volume. I'm able to import virtual machines with all the files are located on the same source volume.

Source files are in the the following locations

X:\opscon06\opscon06.vmc

X:\opscon06\opscon6.vhc

X:\ATA\opscon06-x.vhd (ATA is a mount point of a seperate volume)

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I don't agree. The mount point is OS based, not VM based. The VM doesn't know about mount point, but Windows Guest OS does, so there is another reason you can't import the VM.

You might get errors at boot time inside the VM, once it's converted, but that wouldn't prevent you from doing a conversion.

You can always try winmage to convert VHD to VMDK.

0 Kudos
efd120
Contributor
Contributor

I belive the problem still lies with the second disk being located on a mount point. I have been able to sucessfully import over 100 Microsoft virtual machines and the only ones I cannot import have a second disk located on a mount point. Also as a test I copied the .vhd file from the mount point to the same drive as the other vhd and the import was sucessful. I'm not able to do this for all my servers I need to import because some of them have 200+GB drives.

0 Kudos
patrickds
Expert
Expert

You could try assigning a drive letter to the volume, and changing the VM configurations to use the direct path to the second vhd instead of a mount point.

Or use converter and treat the VMs as physical machines from within the VM.

0 Kudos