VMware Cloud Community
dauphin77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Importing ISO into Datastore fails - VCSA 6.5 - The operation failed for an undetermined reason

Hello all,

I continue to receive "The operation failed for an undetermined reason" error when attempting to import an ISO into our datastore (ESXi / VCSA 6.5) that is part of a Domain. The interesting part is that I am I able to upload an ISO to a separate datastore that is not joined to the domain but tied to the same VCSA.

I have followed the steps listed in the KB2147256 and those listed in the following thread Importing OVA into VCSA 6.5 fails - The operation failed for an unknown reason to no avail, but believe my issue continues to be either certificate or DNS related.

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Tags (1)
8 Replies
dauphin77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

On a side note, I am now able to use WinSCP to copy an ISO file into the datastore where I was not able to perform this action in the past. Making some progress!

tim_841
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had something similar happen to me: go to each hosts URL with your browser of choice, do you get certificate not trusted on any of them? Allow the exceptions on each host and then go back to vCenter, it should work now.

You may want to look into setting up certificate services, and then assign to each host. But be warned it is a headache if you've never dealt with it before. Otherwise, there are browser specific ways of deploying certificate trusts (GPO for IE and Chrome, script for Firefox).

dauphin77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks tim_841, just getting back around to resolving this issue. I did try going to each hosts URL within my Firefox browser using both the ip address and domain name but still not luck. I may need to look into setting up certificate services.

Interesting enough, I am able to upload ISO files into the datastore using the vSphere Client (HTML5) - partial functionality option vice the flash option. Additionally, this issue only occurs with one of my 2 datastores, the only difference being that I initially joined 8 of my esxi servers by name whereas the remaining 8 esxi hosts were added using the IP address. Wondering if that's part of the issue.

0 Kudos
siddjayy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You first need to import the certificate into your machine in trusted Root Certificate authorities tab which will remove the certificate error. Then you should be able to upload the file to datastore without any issue.

Thanks,

Siddhesh

0 Kudos
fredobas
Contributor
Contributor

That's definitively the solution:go to each hosts URL with your browser of choice

0 Kudos
dauphin77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So I recently removed all ESXi hosts from the datacenter and re-added them using the IP address vice Host name but that did not resolve my issue of being able to upload an ISO into my datastore. I am at a loss here!

Why can I upload an ISO using HTML5 and not Flash? What's the difference here?

0 Kudos
dauphin77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So I finally figured out the problem...............never use SYMBOLS when naming your datastores! I had used the "&" sign in the name and that is what was preventing uploading of files into the datastore.

Lesson Learned!

***Additional note: there appeared to be multiple issues preventing me from uploading to the datastore. The final piece was a missing privilege in a role I had created that was assigned directly to the ESXi host cluster. Once I check marked this box, I was able to upload an ISO into the datastore. Following was the role-privilege entry:

Host / Configuration / System Management

0 Kudos
PeteLong
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem with vCenter 6.7 U2  - you need to trust the root CA

VMware: ISO Upload or Deploy OVA Fails ‘Undetermined Reason’

Regards

Pete

0 Kudos