VMware Cloud Community
systemtest
Contributor
Contributor

I want to decrease Memory Size os VM

Hi. I want to decrease Memory Size of VM.

I use RHEL5.2 VM. And I sat Memory Size to 1GB.

But Memory Active is usual 50MB. In this VM, just few light process runs.

However, RHEL gradually assign free memory to cache area. So Memory Consumed is 900MB,Share is 50MB.

How can I determine proper Memory Size of this VM seeing VCenter or esxtop?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vDeepak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

First check your Vm memory usage

From VC server go to summary tab of selected Vm and check the CPU usage. Also is this Vm is under any resource pool or any cluster?

You may also check with free sofwtars to check exact memory requirement and free them eg: Memory optimizer 2002a , isat memory 1.1.

But if you wish to just decrease RAM of required Linux box , then first switch off your Vm and then go to edit settings and memory section and assign the relevan memory thats illustrated by above mentioned free softwares or your observation.

There is no fix memory you can say and assign to your VM..it depends which applications you are running over it..

To get rid out of it ..i thnk better option is to put that Vm in a cluster and creates some resource pool.

Note: If you find this answer helpfull or correct kinldy revert with appropriate check box for same.

Regards,

vDeepak

MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

the VM need be powered off to change a size of memory.

**If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for

"Correct" or "Helpful"**

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
systemtest
Contributor
Contributor

I appliciate for your answer. I understand not to decrease memory size only using vcenter data.

Thanks a lot. And I apologize for delay to answer.

0 Kudos