VMware Cloud Community
longwoodmgmt
Contributor
Contributor

I really need help here...

Hello all:

I   am trying to add a Esxi 5.0 to a new installation of Vcenter (5.0 as well). I was   able to add my other hosts which are running ESXi 4.1, however, when I   try to add this new installtion (everything else is wokring) I am   getting this error:

License file download from SERVER to vCenter Server failed due to exception: vim.fault.HostConnectFault.

Anyone know why?

I tried to add a license key at the time of adding, or even trying evaluation mode - both came up with the same error.

Any help would be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Discussion moved from VMware vCenter Operations to VMware vCenter™ Server

Do you use the VMware ISO image to install the host or is it a OEM vendor image? There is a known issue with the HP image.

André

0 Kudos
longwoodmgmt
Contributor
Contributor

I used the VMWare ISO image to install the host. My system is a Dell Poweredge, i completely formatted it and used the VMware ISO Image.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please double check DNS resolution works for the hosts as well as vCenter Server and there is no typo ... in the ESXi host's network configuration.

André

0 Kudos
matt232
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure this matches up completely, but it did jump to mind.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1031905

0 Kudos
NinjaHideout
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Reiterating some of a.p's suggestions:

- Can you ping the host from the vCenter (by IP, by hostname and by FQDN)?

- Can you also ping the vCenter from the host (IP / hostname / FQDN)?

- Is there any firewall between the host and the vCenter?

A common error is, as previously mentiond, a typo in the host's DNS config.

0 Kudos
longwoodmgmt
Contributor
Contributor

I got the answer:

Looks like the "root" username did not have full admin permission, either by default, or some other issue.

Either way, I had to re-add root permissions as administrator, and it worked.

Interesting though that the ESX host is joined to my network domin, and authentication should be through AD - I would like to note that I was using a username with full permission access as admin, but that doesn't work either. Looks like you must be using the "root" account.

Thakns all for the input.

0 Kudos