VMware Cloud Community
Kooch
Contributor
Contributor

I keep getting "Error 25003 Setup failed to create the VCenter Server Repository"

Host is ESXi 4.0 U1, attempting to install VCenter Server 4.0 on a Windows Server 2008 32bit os. I have already done two successful installs of Vcenter Server on the Server 2008 64bit OS but the first one broke for an unknown reason which kept showing "Timed Out" errors which prevented connection, so I installed to another server (this was a VM) and that worked great until I had to re-IP my servers for our new IP Plan, these errors told me that it couldn't connect to the remote server. I tried to uninstall it first and then re-install it on the server that broke because of the IP change but that didn't have any positive affect and that is where I got the first "Error 25003 Setup failed to create the VCenter Server Repository", I tried to uninstall the SQLEXP_VIM instance, then install...no luck. So I tried to install to a different server, Server 08 32bit VM this time, and this server too had an instance of SQL Server 2005 on it, so I did the whole default installation (just like the others) and let it install another instance (SQLEXP_VIM) Same error. I have been searching every post with the 25003 errors, and I have been searching the internet, and I see that many people have had similar errors but they have been related to Languages, or Remote Databases, or accounts with permissions...I installed to 4 different machines the exact same way, all had another instance of SQL running and the first two ran great until something broke it (1-unknown, 1-IP change) but they were on Server 08 64bit, the second two I couldn't even get to install because of the error 25003...why does this have to be so darn delicate. I have discovered some wonderful hoops to jump through to apparently tell the ESXi host that there's a new IP address of the server, but these require Putty or some other SSH vehicle to make this happen. I'm on a network that doesn't touch the internet, and I have enough hoops to jump through just to get "Approved" software brought over to it, so I am trying to find out if Putty is authorized...is this the best way to try and fix the IP change? How about the Error 25003 on the fresh installs? What caused the very first working VCenter Server to just stop connecting (pre IP change) and how can I maybe get that one back? Why does this have to be so darn difficult?

Sorry! but Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Kooch
Contributor
Contributor

A week and not a single response...hard to believe that I'm the only one to have this problem. Ok, anybody know of any other application that will do what VCenter Server does (when it works that is) but has better FAQ support and is not as Delicate? I am trying to prove to the bosses that this is (Server Virtualization) the direction we need to go, but they're not going to spend a penny on licenses for something that is this Delicate and Problematic as it has been. Right now I'm losing ground!

0 Kudos
VMthinker
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there I think it will be better if you placed your problems and findings in a paragraph form instead just a wall of text.

As for the problem Im guessing that during your second installation you did not remove your "already installed" windows 2005 SQL. When installing a fresh copy of vCenteralways remember to remove your "already exisiting" 2005 SOL and native client. All these could be found on the vCenter installation documentations.

Also please have a look at these posts: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/120513 and http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100396....

Hope these helps.

-

Please award helpful / correct if this post has helped :smileygrin:

By: Another VMware newbie VMthinker

0 Kudos