VMware Cloud Community
Whaler
Contributor
Contributor

I can ssh to vCenter server (VCSA 5.5) using putty, but not my normal ssh client; immediately get "Server responded: Algorithm negotiation failed. Key exchange with the remote host failed"

I was working with support to be able to ssh to the our vCenter 5.5 VCSA.   No matter what account we were trying to reach, we would immediately get a popup saying:  "Server responded: Algorithm negotiation failed.  Key exchange with the remote host failed".

He had me download putty and try it, and I was stunned to find that it worked.

We normally use "SSH Secure Shell" from www.ssh.com (V 3.2.0) for all our ssh sessions from Windows to Linux.  But in this case, it won't work.  I did find a (non vSphere) forum post saying a guy got the same error when he used a commercial ssh client to reach an OpenSSH server.  My ssh client says it's "a non-commercial version which does not include PKI and PKCS #11 functionality"

My thanks for any ideas....Lyle

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Whaler
Contributor
Contributor

anybody??     Thanks...Lyle

0 Kudos
cyber7
Contributor
Contributor

I am also getting this error.  Searched the entire internet, but no resolve.  VMWare, please give some insight...

Kind regards

cyber7 (aka: Aubrey Kloppers, Cape Town, south Africa)

0 Kudos
cyber7
Contributor
Contributor

I finally figured this out.  You can read all about it on my BLOG at:

http://aubreykloppers.wordpress.com/2014/11/05/ssh-algorithm-negotiation-failed-real-fix/

Cheers

cyber7 (aka Aubrey Kloppers, Cape Town, South Africa)

0 Kudos