VMware Cloud Community
shootking
Contributor
Contributor

I am missing statistics since 2008-11-24

Hi

I am new to VMware and ESX and have just began working with the product. The first thing I am interested in is to measure our cluster (4 ESX 3.0 servers) with VC 2.5. When I try to look at the Performance to get some readings, I cannot see all the statistics. I can watch Realtime and past day, but past week and past month isn't working at all. Past year is partially working, it seems to have stopped collecting data 2008-11-24.

Where should I start my troubleshooting???

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sumitgad
Contributor
Contributor

Could you please tell me which database you are using for your Vmware environment?

0 Kudos
shootking
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

We are using an MS SQL server 2005 for the database.

0 Kudos
sumitgad
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

VirtualCenter collects real‐time statistics from the host agent running on each ESX Server host. Every five minutes, VirtualCenter inserts the real‐time statistics into the VirtualCenter database as historical statistics.You can view the historical statistics for the past day, the past week, the past month, and the past year. As these historical statistics age from day to week to month to year, SQL Server rolls them up into larger granularities.By default, the rolled‐up statistics are stored for one year. The rollup stored procedures run as scheduled jobs in the VirtualCenter database every 30 minutes, every two hours, and every 24 hours.

In your case it seems like there is some issue with the rollup stored procedures in the SQl Server.

Performance statistics rollup may fail due to arithmetic overflow errors. VirtualCenter Server 2.5 uses the SQL Server Agent to periodically execute procedures that roll up collected performance statistic data. In some instances, data processed may exceed the datatype allocated and an arithmetic overflow error is seen in the SQL Server Agent job history.

The error message appears similar to the following:

Arithmetic overflow error converting expression to data type int. (Error 8115) The statement has been terminated.

(Error 3621). The step failed.

Apply stats_rollup_proc_mssql-vc2.5.zip as per

Regards,

Sumit

shootking
Contributor
Contributor

I can't find the error you write about in my SQL Server Agent Log. Do I dare to apply the patch anyway?

0 Kudos