VMware Cloud Community
meistermn
Expert
Expert

Howto Move/Migrate/Design VC DB from SQL2000 to SQL2005 ?

I want to know if there are any special steps, if I move the VC DB from SQL 2000 (32 Bit) to SQL 2005 (32 Bit)

I although want to upgrade from VC 2.0.1 to VC 2.5.

After reading the following docs I came to the conclusion that it is not only a moving of the database, but although a redesign:

RTFM Upgrade guide for ESX 3.5 and VirtualCenter 2.5 -

ESX Server 3 Installation Guide -

Upgrade Guide -

ESX Server 3 Patch Management Guide -

The VMware Environment today looks like this:

1 x VC 2.0.1

22 x ESX Servers 3.0.2 , which are placed in two different locations. 11 in the Primary Datacenter and 11 in the Disastery Datacenter, which is 30 KM away.

One FC Netapp Metrocluster 6070 over the two locations

So how to design The New VMware Environment for VC 2.5 :

I want to use VC, Consolidation, Converter Enterprise , Update Manager, and later VCB with Netbackup 6.5/7.0

From Design I would install both VC and VC Licence Server onto one physical Windows Enterprise 2003 Server SP1 (32 Bit) in every Location,

and would Cluster the VC like in this doc described.

Another physical Server or a VM I would use for Converter Enterprise and Update Manager.

In my opinion it is an advantage to separate VC + Licence Server from Converter and Update Manager, because I expect High Network and CPU usage through patching of VM's or through converter.

For right sizing the physical Server or the VM there is sizing tool :

[http://vmware.com/support/vi3/doc/vi3_vum_10_sizing_estimator.xls]

From this I need 150 to 250 GB of harddisk space or san disk space.

Move VC DB SQL2000 to SQL 2005

From Guide , Forum und VMWare Documentation I come to the following Steps

1.) Backup VC DB SQL 2000 (32 BIT)

2.) Create a new VC DB on SQL 2005 (32 Bit) . Best use is, to put the VC DB on SQL MS CLuster(Veritas Cluster)

Open Question here: Should we use SP1 oder SP2 for SQL 2005

One Issue: Administrative Credentials Are Required for Oracle and SQL Server Databases When Installing or Upgrading VirtualCenter

From Design should we create a separate DB for the Update Manager?

3.) Move the Data from the SQL 2000 VC DB to the SQL 2005 VC DB

4.) Upgrades of VirtualCenter Server With Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Database Require SQL Native Client ODBC Driver

If you are upgrading to VirtualCenter 2.5 with a Microsoft SQL Server 2005 database, SQL Native Client ODBC driver must be installed on the VirtualCenter Server machine before the upgrade.

5.) Install VC 2.5 on a new physical Virtual Center Server. The old Virtual Center Server 2.0.2 will stay on it's on physical Server.

6.) Is there an Issue with the IP address like in this thread descibed

7.) DSN should not have spaces comes from this thread

The fix was that the System DSN cannot contain spaces within its name. Also keep the name under 10 Characters is good practice.

Other Tipps for VC and add ons

Consolidation : Can't add to analysis

Move Virtual Center to another Server

Moving the Virtual Center Database from SQL2000 to SQL2005 (part 1)

Download Location for VM Update Manager

Upgrade VMFS from 3.21 to 3.31

New features - what have you noticed

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

SQL is easy to move databases. They are simple *.dbf files. If you copy the files to a SQL 2005 instance, they will come up. However, there are underlying design changes that could cause your database to become corrupt.

So the easiest way is to dump them (as an export) then import them into a SQL 2005. But the most reliable way is to start with a FRESH database, or attempt an inplace upgrade of 2000 to 2005 (which is also tricky).

The only way 100% of getting good data, is to start over, FRESH DB, and rebuild. I wouldn't even recommend letting VC do a database upgrade.

Talk to a SQL DBA about this, they may other answers, but you will probably get the about the same solution.

meistermn
Expert
Expert

I have many custom attributes!! So best way is to export them and then im import them?

0 Kudos
gklooste
Contributor
Contributor

I added part two of moving the Virtual Center Database from SQL2000 to SQL2005:

Moving the Virtual Center Database from SQL2000 to SQL2005 (part two)

Gerben

Gerben's Blog @ blog.virtualarchitect.nl
meistermn
Expert
Expert

Ok we talk with Vmware and this is the support way to the upgrade from SQL 2000 SQL 2005.

1.) Upgrade VC 2.0.X to VC 2.5

2.) Move the SQL 2000 file's to SQL 2005

Part to is good described here:

0 Kudos