VMware Cloud Community
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

How to use encrypted passwords with template deployment and customization s

Hello All,

When i create a default .xml template the Administrators password will be encrypted by default. But when i use the .xml file for deploying templates i receive an error message : "the virtualcenter server is unable to decrypte passwords stored in the customization specification"

How can is use the encrypted passwords with template deployment and customization specification ?

i only get template deployment functional when i modify the .xml file to use unencrypted passwords described in workaround below.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Re: Unable to decrypt passwords in customization spec

Posted: 18-mei-2007 18:20 in response to: RobMokkink Reply

I didn't update my post.

The workaround i use is to export the customization template:

where you can change Password01 to your needs.

This error comes up random. On some sites it works oke and some it don't.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

after a few more tests i discovered that i have the same error with encrypted or unencrypted ;(

who can help ?

Message was edited by:

dmaster

0 Kudos
8 Replies
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

May be because you have different passwords?

I've never done it but I think you must deal with this links:

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=646211&#646211

and

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=656597&#656597

0 Kudos
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanx.. for the tips..

in fact i have a clustered VC2 installation .. and i also changed my SSL certificates on the virtual center 2 server.. maybe this is causing my strange error message.. didn't think about that until now..

i will investigate and post the results..

0 Kudos
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello All..

I found the solution..

The customization specification uses the original SSL certificates of Virtual Center 2.

When you change them to trust your Microsoft CA, you cannot use your customization specifications anymore. probably to get this working, you should also replace the ESX host SSL certificates..

Is there somebody who also replaced the SSL certificates and get template deployment working with customization specification?

0 Kudos
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

How can i get template deployment working with customization specification without changing back the original SSL certificates

0 Kudos
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I'm not sure it can help but It can't hurt.

😆

Try this thread:

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=500951&#500951

bsm033
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all

I'm just installed new environment of VirtualCenter 2.5 with 2 ESX's 3.5 for testing this new product and i have been meet this issue too

I'm never change the SSL so its look like the SSL on this issue is not relevant (anyway for this test)

This is really big problem for me cause i working with this feature a lot on are production environment and i can't upgrate until VMware will fix this issue

So if the customization specification working for anybady on 2.5 please tell us here and please describe how

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
bsm033
Contributor
Contributor

Well after delete and recreate the customization specification template its working so thanks anyway

But i have not test it with new SSL yet

0 Kudos
topperharley
Contributor
Contributor

I had this same error and fixed it by editing the template in VC and

supplying the administrator password. I edited the template in the Customization Manager. I was then able to deploy using

this template. I did the same for another and that also worked

0 Kudos