VMware Cloud Community
olano
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to upgrade vCenter4.0 and components to vCenter4U1

Hi,

I want to upgrade vCenter4.0 to vCenter4U1. But I can't find the relevant documents. So how can I upgrade it? Need I stop the vmware vcenter service first? And how to upgrade the relevant components,like update manager and converter? Need I uninstall them first?

Any help is appreciated!

Lan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
geddam
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It is a smooth minor upgrade.

1. Backup your SQL/Oracle DB.

2. Run the autorun.exe, and perform upgrade for each individual components (vCenter server, Update manager, Converter) seperately.

Thanks,,

Ramesh. Geddam,

VCP 3&4, MCTS(Hyper-V).

Please award points, if helpful

Thanks,, Ramesh. Geddam,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
danm66
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

you can leave the vcenter service running...or not. Just run autorun.exe from the installation source and go down the list of displayed programs/components to upgrade each one.

0 Kudos
geddam
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It is a smooth minor upgrade.

1. Backup your SQL/Oracle DB.

2. Run the autorun.exe, and perform upgrade for each individual components (vCenter server, Update manager, Converter) seperately.

Thanks,,

Ramesh. Geddam,

VCP 3&4, MCTS(Hyper-V).

Please award points, if helpful

Thanks,, Ramesh. Geddam,
0 Kudos
DermotHagan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the very same question. the documentation is non existant so I opened a call with them; official response from VMware. The upgrade process from 4 to 4.1 is to install over the top.

However, after doing this, there are 2 items (Undocumented) worth noting.

1. The vCentre server will still update the agents on your ESX hosts. Despite the fact that those hosts were previous managed by a version 4 vCentre. Also, doesn’t matter if the ESX hosts are running ESX 4update1, vCentre will still update the agents.

2. You will have to update your vCentre client. Seems vCentre client Version 4 won’t work with 4update1, there is VPX client version difference 4.0.0.7797 to 4.0.0.10021.

danm66
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

any time you upgrade/change your virtualcenter version, it does a VC agent upgrade. This should be non-intrusive and in many cases, un-noticed.

The client, Update Manager and Converter (server and plug-ins) will also need upgraded if you upgrade your VC, too, but that should be a given.

0 Kudos
DermotHagan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VC agent upgrade is expected from 2.5 to 4 (or 4u1). I wasn't expecting it from 4 to 4u1 and its not documented

Same applies for the client upgrade from 4 to 4.1 it is not documented.

The Update Manager and Converter upgrade is documented

0 Kudos