VMware Cloud Community
gesturgis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to update vCenter 4 to U1?

Silly question, I am sure, but I can't seem to figure out how to update vCenter 4. When I go to the download page for vCenter, all that seems to be available is build 208111 where it appears that U1 is build 208156.

Can someone help me out by pointing me in the right direction to update vCenter 4?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
18 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

The instructions are included with the file.

But its basic install, extract the contents of the install, run the autorun. when the setup starts, it will notify you that the VC already exists.

Do you want to upgrade? Yes or No?

0 Kudos
gesturgis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

so I should download the build 208111 and it will magically install build 208156?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
dnetz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/datacenter_downloads/vmware_vsphere_4/4

Almost at the bottom of that page should be a link to "VMware vCenter Server 4 Update 1" from November 19th 2009, and if you click the link, the build number should say 208156. If not, something's very wrong, talk to your vmware sales rep Smiley Happy

Hope it helps!

Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

VMware vCenter Server (build 208111) is U1. You get the 208156 with all the modules.

VMware vCenter Server 4 and modules

Installer for VMware vCenter Server (build 208111), VMware vSphere Client (build 208111), VMware vSphere Host Update Utility, VMware vCenter Update Manager (build 208126), VMware vCenter Converter (build 206188), VMware vCenter Guided Consolidation and VMware vCenter Orchestrator. Available in English, German, Japanese, and Simplified Chinese.

gesturgis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Guys, I see that. When I click on the link on that page, agree to the EULA, then get to the page where you can choose from the download manager or download with web browser - that page still says build 208111, but the md5sum is different. So I guess I'll give that one a try and see what happens.

0 Kudos
gesturgis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So I downloaded VMware-VIMSetup-all-4.0.0-208156.zip, and extracted the contents. I ran autorun.exe and my choices are "Modify linked mode configuration" or "Uninstall".

What I want to do is to upgrade from 4.0.0 to 4 update 1.

Am I on the right track or shoud I do something different?

Thanks for your advice,

Grant

0 Kudos
chouse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

About Upgrade Tools for This Release

vCenter Server Upgrades

You can upgrade VirtualCenter Server 2.x, and vCenter Server 4.0 to

vCenter Server 4.0 Update 1. To upgrade, first confirm that your

database is supported with vCenter Server 4.0 Update 1, back up your

supported database, SSL certificates, and VirtualCenter Server

configuration. Then run the vCenter Server installer. The installer

informs you that an earlier version of vCenter Server is on the

computer and will be upgraded.

I have same issue. Running the vCenter Server installer only prompts to uninstall or modify linked mode configuration. I want to upgrade to U1!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What is the concesus here? I am also in the same boat. When running the setup for v4 u1 i also only get the option for linked mode or uninstall. Our vcenter server is pointing to a remote sql server in case that makes any difference. I reviewed the readme file and it doesnt state anything about how to work around this issue.

0 Kudos
chouse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just moved on without bothering with it. I figure an upgrade to U2 when it comes out should work fine. Someone in another thread said it was because the build numbers on the installer were the same even though some components inside were newer, that it wasn't prompting to upgrade.

I think you could uninstall the release and then install the U1 and point back to the same database. Shouldn't lose anything since everything is in the DB.

0 Kudos
gesturgis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My understanding was that if you get the "linked mode" or "uninstall" options, then you already have the update. I'm sure you can look at the version number of some binary to determine if you have the update or not. As chouse states, it's probably not worth the hassle. I don't think there is much of value in this update.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yah. I verified the build version in the 'About' of the vsphere console and it does still show the older build number. As has been mentioned Im just going to hang tight for now and wait for the next release.

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Just to add to the list...I also have the same problem...sure would be nice to update....

0 Kudos
gesturgis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My understanding was that if you get the "linked mode" or "uninstall"

options, then you already have the update. I'm sure you can look at the

version number of some binary to determine if you have the update or

not. As chouse states, it's probably not worth the hassle. I don't

think there is much of value in this update.

0 Kudos
JasonJoel
Contributor
Contributor

Same here... I don't get an UPDATE option, just UNINSTALL.

Looked at the exe, and sure enough it is the OLD version (208111). Oh well.

Jason

0 Kudos
noblehobo
Contributor
Contributor

208111 is vCenter 4.0 Update 1. If that is the build number that you see displayed in Help>About VMware vSphere, you're good to go. The 208156 build number represents the entire vSphere package but is only displayed on the download page. An ESX host at Update 1 will display a build number of 208167 (or higher if additional patches have been applied).

0 Kudos
Fulcrum72
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It is a confusing issue, to be sure.

I actually opened a SR with VMware, and the tech was confused too. I showed him the install file that I used (it was the 208156) and showed him the "Help--> About" (which showes the 208111) in vCenter; he had me uninstall the vCenter, and try a reinstal. Not suprisingly, it came back with the 208111 build number. He then spent a few moments (like 20 minutes) checking with his peers, and he came back with the infamous "this is a known issue."

0 Kudos
henber
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Server 4.0 Update 1 for download is build 208156 but when installed is 208111

Symptoms

According to the VMware vCenter Server 4.0 Update 1 Release Notes, the build number for vCenter Server 4.0 Update 1 is 208156. However, after installation vCenter Server reports that the build number is 208111.

Resolution

This is normal behavior. The build number (208156) that is being reported in the Release Notes is for the VIMISO and Installer package for vCenter Server, VMware Converter and VMware Update Manager, which is the combined version of these packages bundled together. However, the individual vCenter Server build number is 208111.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1017248&sl...

0 Kudos