VMware Cloud Community
valot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How to see VI3 templates on Virtual Server 4.1

Hi all,

I'm migrating my old VI3 infrastructure (ESX3.5U5) to a new vSphere 4.1 one.

As I recreate a fresh database on V4.1 I need to disconnect all ESX3.5 from Virtual Center2.5 to connect them tp virtual server 4.1.

I have a lot of templates on each ESX3.5 but when I reconnect the ESX3.5 to the virtual server 4.1 I don't see all my templates.

Any idea ?

tks for your help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

if you browse the datastores using the datastore browser you should find all your templates there.  Once you locate them, right click on the .vmtx file and "add to inventory"

For a quick overview of any "zombie" templates you can use RVTools (vHealth Tab)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

if you browse the datastores using the datastore browser you should find all your templates there.  Once you locate them, right click on the .vmtx file and "add to inventory"

For a quick overview of any "zombie" templates you can use RVTools (vHealth Tab)

0 Kudos
valot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Tks for answer Troy,

I know this procedure, but in my case I have 13 ESXs and around 300 templates dispatched on around 20 different datastores ...

In my testcase, now, I don't know which templates depends of each ESX.

So I try to found a tips to have all templates directly listed on my new virtual server if it's possible, if not I will need to connect again my ESX to VC3.5,

noticed the correlation betweek ESX-Templates-datastore...

New idea ? 🙂

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
valot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

😞 I will try ..tks...

0 Kudos
valot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Tks Troy for your help.

After few try and test the best way for me is to add all templates from inventory manually (a little bit boring but effective).

Adn I used the RVTools to clean all my datastores, this tool is very effective and usefull.

Tks again.

Best regards.

0 Kudos