VMware Cloud Community
nareshsharma
Contributor
Contributor

How to search multiple VMs from Vi Client in Virtual Center 2.5

Hello Friends,

I am using Virtual Center 2.5 version. We have around 200 VMs in this virtual center. I need to reset selected VMs from Vi Client. I know that we can do this by going to Data Center folder and then go to Virtual Machine Tab and find the VM.

Is there any way, if I can find multiple VMs from this way. I mean, is there any formula ( "ServerA"&"ServerB") to find multiple VMs so that I can select those VMs and reset all in one go.

Thanks,
Naresh

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you may want to look at a PowerCLI script do do something like that.  With that said, I would shy away from resetting more than 5 VM's at a time.  This could cause a boot storm in your environment and have negative impact on your storage.

0 Kudos
nareshsharma
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Troy,

I have to reset more than 60 VMs at a time. Can you suggest if is there any other way to perform this.

Thanks

Naresh

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

Create a file with your VMs like:

VM1

VM2

VM3

Then use a PowerCli script

Something like (not tested . . as I have no VMs to reboot 😉 :

Connect-Viserver myvcname

Foreach ($vm in (get-content C:\vmlist.txt)){Restart-VM $VM}

If you have no experience with PowerCli - this is the ideal reason and time to learn - it really makes life easy for bulk operations.

Drop us a note if you are stuck

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
nareshsharma
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I tried using Power CLI to test start and stop of VM but getting below error.

Get-VM Unsufficient permissions. You need 'System.Read' privileges to complete the requested operation.
At line:1 char:7
+ Get-VM <<<<  servername | Start-VM
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (VirtualMachine-vm-1872:Managed
   ObjectReference) [Get-VM], NoPermission

I am not administrator of virtual center. I am part of nt group which has assigned Role in virtual center to create/delete/poweroff/poweron VMs. I tried to see the properties of that role in which my nt group assigned but it's disabled so I cannot see what accesses are given to this role.

However as I said, I can create/delete/poweroff/poweron all VMs. I tried to start different VM but same error and also tried different account which is also part of that role but no luck.

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

Could you post the code you tried using please?

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos