VMware Cloud Community
siungnc
Contributor
Contributor

How to reset or recover vCenter DSN username & password

Hi all,

My VC is having problem and I already remove it from add/remove program. During reinstallation, it prompts me the DSN username & password. But cant go thru due to invalid username and password.

Question:

1) Any way to reset or recover the username & password?

2) Any alternative to setup a new VC and use back existing configuration? Any doc that can share?

regards.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

vCenter DSN username will either be a local user on the SQL server or a domain username - I would contact the SQL DBA to find out what the username is and work with a Domain admin to reset the password -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
danm66
Expert
Expert

If the database is local to the VC, you don't need to enter any credentials, probably. If it's sql express installed locally, you definitely don't need to enter any...just leave it blank and click next.

siungnc
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for ur reply. We are using SQL 2005 locally. If I reinstall the VC without using existing db, what shld I do after installling VC? Add back the ESX hosts, create data center and HA? How about existing network & storage configuration? Will it still remain?

regards.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Yes you can rebuild your VC environment - creating new new datacenter, adding the ESX hosts, and recreating the HA cliuster - network and storage configurations are linked to the ESX hosts and they will remain -

However if you are using a local instance of SQL 2005 I would try using the local administrator account and password -

0 Kudos
siungnc
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. Will try it out later. Hv try to use local administrator, sa & leave it blank but still cannot work.

0 Kudos
danm66
Expert
Expert

did you reset the DB user password and can't get vcenter service to start again? if so, using command prompt, cd into virtualcenter install directory and run 'vpxd.exe -p' and that will allow you to reset the password that vcenter uses to access the db. If you're not sure what user account it was setup to use, check the registry under hklm\software\vmware inc\vmware virtualcenter server\db . there should be four entries there, the DSN name, db user, hashed db password and a blank one.

0 Kudos