VMware Cloud Community
Synced
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to patch a vCenter Server???

Hi all,

My question is simple. At the present time, i've got a vCenter Server 4.1, build 258902.

I learnt that there was a new build; 259021. I downloaded the .iso file, but now i don't know how to patch my vCenter.

Does someone have the solution??

Thanks a lot.

There's no ignorance, there just only a lack of experience

0 Kudos
6 Replies
runclear
Expert
Expert

mount the iso, or extract the files .. then simply run the installer (it should detect the previous install and perform the update/upgrade)

-

http://www.rack42.com | VCP[3] | VCP[4]

-------------------- What the f* is the cloud?!
0 Kudos
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi there,

For safe result, If I were you I'd backed up the database first if using SQL Server is quite simple only few clicks away.

and then i perform the inline backup as usual. That's all you need to backup, unless some one can add something that i missed ?

hope that helps.

Kind Regards,

AWT

/* Please feel free to provide any comments or input you may have. */
0 Kudos
Synced
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the quick answer.

But unfortunetly, when i mount the .iso file and launch the installer (for vcenter), it only propose me to uninstall my current version. There's no possibility of applying the new build.

0 Kudos
dgrace
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I see the same. Used the 259021 image to update from 4.0 to 4.1. VIC shows 258902. Running the installer again only gives the uninstall option.

0 Kudos
ProadminInc
Contributor
Contributor

You can't do a direct upgrade. You need to uninstall the earlier vCenter instance and re-install the new version. It will allow you to connect to your existing database and keep all of your curretn data when you re-install.

0 Kudos
dgrace
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had support on the phone for another issue so I asked about this. The installer version on the ISO will probably not match your install version. There are multiple programs on the ISO and anytime a newer one gets put on and/or something like the autorun needs to be updated it will cause the version number on the ISO to increase. The 259021 installed will get you VI version 258902, so we're both set as is.

0 Kudos