VMware Cloud Community
mac1978
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to move vCenter to new server?

Hi all,

I currently have vCenter Server 4.0 running on an older server and I have just purchased a new server to take its place.  The current install is using SQL 2005 Express that is included with the vCenter 4.0 install.

This is how I gather the process will go:

1. Stop Services on current vcenter

2. backup the database on current vcenter using sql management studio

3. Shutdown the current server

4. Switch to the new server, rename server the same as the old and use the same IP

5. Install vCenter on the new server and let it create a new database

6. After the install restore the backup to the newly created database

7. Make sure SQL logins and user is correct and can access the restored database

8. Start new vCenter and ensure hosts show up.

9. Verify operation

So I have a few questions:

1. THe migration mentions backing up and restoring the ADAM database if I running 4.X.  I have read other user posts with people migrating 4.0 but have not seen any mention of backing up this ADAM database.  Is this necessary?

2. What login and user does the default install use for the SQL database?  Looking in SQL Manage Studio I can see no login mapped to the VC database and I cant determine who the DBO is. I want to make sure permissions match when I restore.

3. Lastly, in the event something goes wrong with my migration.  My thinking is that I should be able to simply turn off the new Vcenter box, turn on the old working box and be back up and going.  Is this correct?

THanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
logiboy123
Expert
Expert

0 Kudos
mac1978
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That is the walkthrough I checked and my questions are in regards to the walkthrough.

0 Kudos
mac1978
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

2. What login and user does the default install use for the SQL database?  Looking in SQL Manage Studio I can see no login mapped to the VC database and I cant determine who the DBO is. I want to make sure permissions match when I restore.

It turns out there is no DBO currently set on the VC database.  I cant backup the database so I'll need to assign a DBO.  Hopefully this doesn't break something.  How can I determine what credentials vCenter is using to connect to the database.  Again the database is using SQL Express and is on the same machine that vCenter is installed on.

Sorry, new to SQL and vcenter.

THanks

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

mac1978 wrote:

It turns out there is no DBO currently set on the VC database.  I cant backup the database so I'll need to assign a DBO.  Hopefully this doesn't break something.  How can I determine what credentials vCenter is using to connect to the database.  Again the database is using SQL Express and is on the same machine that vCenter is installed on.

Sorry, new to SQL and vcenter.

THanks

Well first you shouldn't have installed the embedded database, that really wasn't supported, yeah I know necessity... and all that Smiley Happy

OK, moving on.. since you have embedded it uses the default credentials.. mssqlserver_express ( I think that's the instance)  the local administrator is the admin account, and obviously you will have to know the password..

I have seen messages on VM Ware that say you can move express database and attach to a SQL Standard/Enterprise, because it IS just a mdf file.. once you attach it, whatever SQL security is in place is how you connect.

You should creae a NEW user for that database (this is done via the SQL Management studio), and you give it rights.. you can read about that on sQL forums it's not hard.

Then you can attach your current database without losing data or configuration.  Basically if you connect a vCenter (even a new one) to the current database you won't have to reconfigure any host, VM or network..  just reinstall software for vcenter and SQL (if needed) is all it takes.

mac1978
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the assistance.  We do not have any SQL servers available.  We do have a pretty small environment of just 3 hosts and about 15 VM's so the express database has been working fine.

0 Kudos