VMware Cloud Community
tim5700
Contributor
Contributor

How to install Virtual Center on a server that already has an instance of SQL 2005 Express

I am trying to install Virtual Center 2.5 update 3 on a server to manage two ESX servers. The server I need to install on is already running a SQL 2005 Express instance associated with Backup Exec. When I try to let the VC installer install a second instance, the install fails. How can I make this work?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

You can't install a second instance of SQL Express, use the option to connect to an existing database. It should be the local machine name (Fully qualified name or IP). Instance name should be SQLExpress.

0 Kudos
tim5700
Contributor
Contributor

How do I configure the SQL 2005 Express for this, DSN, ODBC driver, etc. I can't seem to find docurmentation for this.

0 Kudos
six
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

1. download Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express --> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=C243A5AE-4BD1-4E3D-94B8-5A0F62BF7796&displa... --> for a easy configuration

2. start Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express and create a new database (for example vcdb)

3. run odbcad32 create a new system DSN with the following settings: SQL Native Client with windows integrated auth. and set the new database there as default database!

4. install VC2.5 Ux with the choice: existing database enter there the name of your new system DSN and no auth. data!

that's it ...

bg six

0 Kudos
tim5700
Contributor
Contributor

The database was corrupted at this point and could not be read any more.

I had to completely remove SQL (manually) and perform a reinstall from the ground up.

0 Kudos