VMware Cloud Community
Jeff1981
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How to install 2.01 Patch 2

Hey all,

this weekend, we want to upgrade to VC 2.01 Patch 2. We are currently on VC 2.01 Build 32042 (before Patch 1 if I'm correct)

However, I'm not sure about some steps for the upgrade. Here's the thing:

We have 9 physical ESX servers, hosting about 30 virtual servers and workstations. We have one physical Windows Server 2003 server on which VirtualCenter Server is installed (we use this server to manage our virtual infrastructure)

So I guess I'll start upgrading the management servers first, but my question is about the following step:

What else do I need to upgrade? Do I perform an upgrade on every physical ESX server, on every virtual server and workstation or ... ?

Further more, I believe the VC database is running in an MSDE environment on the management server. However, my backup program (BackupExec) which runs on the same server can't make a backup of the database, stating it can't connect to it. Using SQL Server Management Studio 2005 gives the same statement. Is there any other way to perform a good database backup?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
10 Replies
jparnell
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Install patch 2, following the prompts through. Important: When prompted to over-write your existing database DSN (data source name), be sure to select No.

Upgrade the virtual infrastructure clients - this also needs to be done on the virtual center server as the patch 2 upgrade doesnt do it for you.

When you log in to virtual center for the first time after installing the patch, you will see messages about the agents on the ESX servers being upgraded. let it do this. I was ok, and my hosts happily carried on working. If they remain disconnected, then use the command 'service mgmt-vmware restart' from the command line and they should reconnect to virtual center.

I can't comment on the SQL backups - but would advise you get this sorted before upgrading.

James

Jeff1981
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Allright, so your virtual servers kept running without service interruption? How about disconnected servers, are they available for our users or do they first have to be connected?

What I read from your comment is, after installing Patch 2, the ESX agents are automatically upgraded (unless the server stays disconnected, at which time I run the command you described). Am I correct?

0 Kudos
jparnell
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yes, there was no downtime to virtual machines. Disconnected servers are still available i.e. the virtual machines running on them will carry on running. They just aren't connected to virtual center.

Yes, you don't actually need to manually upgrade agents on the ESX servers - this is done automatically.

0 Kudos
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

HEllo,

I don't use MSDE myself but I would definitely have a backup before upgrading. It may be as simple as stopiing MSDE and copying out the database files?

I would have a look around the forums as well for issues related to Patch 2 upgrades; just so you are ready. There has been some issues around the upgrade of VC agents on ESX hosts and others that you will want to be prepared for.

You also may want to get VI clients upgraded to Patch 2 before you upgrade VC as older clients cannot connect to the newer VC; although they will be directed to a location where they may be able to get it from. We used the Message of the Day to communicate the update and instruct them when and from where to upgrade clients before the VC upgrade.

0 Kudos
Jeff1981
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Turns out the MSDE is bogus, we're using a SQL Server 2005 instance for our Virtual Center database. Had some rough time accessing it though (TCP/IP was disabled for the SQL Server Agent) Enabled it, restarted the SQL Server instance and we're now able to access the database (and making a backup as we speak Smiley Happy )

Thanks esiebert for the links, I will go through them right away.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No problem...fyi...don't forget to mark helpful posts using the Helpful/Correct button....

0 Kudos
Jeff1981
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well, I've read through all the posts following bert's links (and also the links in those posts) so I can fairly say I've done some extensive research, came up with a battle plan and I'm now ready to start the upgrade tomorrow. Still.... wish me luck! Smiley Happy

When I'm done, I'll post how things went and also hand out the points Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Jeff1981
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well that was fun :smileygrin:

The preparations I made based on esiebert's links deemed to be very useful. 5 of 9 hosts came up automatically, 2 hosts had the new agent but were simply still disconnected. On the remaining 2 hosts I had to manually upgrade the agent. So far so good!

Re-enabling HA however, was not as easy. Disabling and re-enabling HA on the cluster would result in random hosts reporting the HA agent couldn't be started. First, I moved the VM's off those hosts. Then entering maintenance mode, restarting the host en exiting maintenance mode (sometimes doing this a couple of times for the same host) would eventually enable HA on the host.

So were on Patch 2 now, but did it solve our problem? We went to Patch 2 because our VIC services would stop multiple times a day. Hasn't done that yet since Patch 2, so it looks good Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Jeff1981
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well, we're a week underway and no more problems with the Virtual Center service, it just keeps running :smileygrin: Problem solved!

0 Kudos