VMware Cloud Community
Albert_AV
Contributor
Contributor

How to increase disk capacity if it's protected by HA?

vSphere Client version 7.0.x

Hello Everyone,

I am fairly new to this kind of troubleshooting and tackling these kind of issues, so I hope I can explain in what kind of a loop I am stuck in.

The /dev/mapper/log_vg-log  on cVenter Server Appliance (or vcsa) disk 5 is full. I chose to keep the logs and increase the storage space to get more logs overtime.

I went to the esx, shutdown gracefully the VM. Went to edit settings and increase the disk capacity, but it stopped me with a warning:  "As this host's resources are being managed by vCenter Server, some configuration options are disabled. if you wish to change this VM's resource settings, please do so from vCenter Server."

Great then, I went to the vCenter, click -> edit, but those options are grayed out. And after a little bit of clicking around, I noticed that the VM is Protected by vSphere HA. I've read that in this case the only possible way to edit the storage capacity of the VM would be through CLI. And this should work in my case since the machine is a Linux one.

The VMware guide states that we need to use the "vmkfstools" command, which when I use it, it says: "bash: vmkfstools: command not found". People on the internet said that we need to install VMware tools before using it, and I checked my machine has the tools already installed: "11.1.0.19887 (build-16036546)"

Some other people suggested that the tools should be by default installed in this path "/usr/sbin/vmkfstools" but apparently it is not: "bash: /usr/sbin/vmkfstools: No such file or directory".

So in this case, what do you think would be the best approach to resolve this issue?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Your post need moving, so I have reported it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos