VMware Cloud Community
RabidRaccoon123
Contributor
Contributor

How to go from vCenter Server 5.1 on Windows to vCenter Server Appliance

I have a vCenter Server 5.1 environment running on a windows server 2008 for testing.  I let the Windows Server 2008 server demo elapse because we wanted to go to the vCenter Server Applicance instead.  What version of vCenter Server appliance do I need to download and make it work correctly?  I first downloaded the vCenter Server Appliance 5.1 applicance.  File names for .ovf file VMware-vCenter-Server-Appliance-5.1.0.10200-1235310_OVF10.ovf  and associated files.   It gave me an error when trying to add my two hosts to the new DataCenter I created.

Something to do with the license being incorrect.

I figured I had to new of a version of the VCSA so I downloaded version *5.0.0.8512-1302764_ovf10.ovf and .vmdk files and installed it.  It doesn't let me bring in the hosts either.  When I do it gives me a general error:  "A general system error occurred: Timed waiting for vpxa to start".

The version of VMware vSphere in the help files show Version 5.0.0 Build 1300600.

Any help would be appreciated.  I just wanted my two VMware 5.1 Essentials Hosts to be connected to VMware vCenter Server appliance for management.

Thanks in advance for any help..

George

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

What exact error did you see?

Basically you would install the vCenter Server Appliance with the same version as the hosts (i.e. 5.1) although you could also use a newer version as long as your hosts are supported (see VMware Product Interoperability Matrix)

André

0 Kudos