VMware Cloud Community
theblackknight
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How to get around Windows SCP not having root access?

So I installed WINDOWS SCP so I could copy ISO images to my ESX hosts and I get access denied because obviously cant get there without root access.

I can log in with my non-root account and copy the images to my home directory, but I want to put them somewhere where a couple of our admins can access them.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gary1012
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Start an RDP session on the vCenter host. Open up your Virtual Infrastructure Client. Ensure you're in Hosts and Clusters Inventory view. Select any host and look for the Datastore section in the middle right side. Right click the datastore where you want to store the ISO and select Browse Datastore. Create a folder and then the upload button. It will walk you through from there.

Community Supported, Community Rewarded - Please consider marking questions answered and awarding points to the correct post. It helps us all.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
gary1012
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Use the VIC datastore browser to upload the file to the vmfs folder of choice.

Community Supported, Community Rewarded - Please consider marking questions answered and awarding points to the correct post. It helps us all.
0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

You can also SSH to the host and then "su -" to move the SCP-copied file from your home directory to the desired location.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
theblackknight
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The ISO files are on my Virtual Center Server. How do I get them over there?

I dont get the "VIC datastore browser"?

0 Kudos
gary1012
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Start an RDP session on the vCenter host. Open up your Virtual Infrastructure Client. Ensure you're in Hosts and Clusters Inventory view. Select any host and look for the Datastore section in the middle right side. Right click the datastore where you want to store the ISO and select Browse Datastore. Create a folder and then the upload button. It will walk you through from there.

0 Kudos