VMware Cloud Community
pawan2009
Contributor
Contributor

How to find a relationship between Device & Volume Label?

HI All,

I am tring to find the relation between device name /dev/sda..../dev/sdb & Volume label. Can i find it using Virtual center.

Regards,

Pawan

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Cruicer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What are you referring to by Volume label...Datastore name? You can run esxcfg-vmhbadevs from the console...this will give you a list of the Device ID as well as the LUN header. Then with the device ID (I.E. vmhba1:0:16) you can go into VC and locate that device ID with the datastore name.

pawan2009
Contributor
Contributor

Still lokking for more detail

0 Kudos
pawan2009
Contributor
Contributor

Information is helpful, but when i login to virtual center datastore information is not matching with teh Clariion device information.

Is this the onlyway to find the relatioship or there is an equivelant command line to verify the same detail.

Regards,

Pawan

0 Kudos
Cruicer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can view the HBA properties...login into the ESX console

under /proc/scsi/HBA/ type cat 1, it will show you the details of that HBA? Not really sure what you are looking for.

0 Kudos
pawan2009
Contributor
Contributor

What I am observing is that vmhba information is consistance under storage adapter. It is matching with my clariion storage group information.

Now when I am trying to fnd the same vmhba information through storage to find the relation ship between vmhba & Datastore label, vmhba information is not consistance.

Question:

Is there any way to find DataStore information under storage adapater, because they are more consistance.

Regards,

Pawan

0 Kudos
Cruicer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not from "Storage Adapters" in VC, but you can get a slue of additional information from "Storage" you can get info such as Location: /vmfs/volumes/UUID, what the volume label is, the datastore name, any extents. You can also get all this information by running esxcfg-info from the console...this pretty much gives you all the information you need to know about your ESX host. This will run for a bit so your best bet would be to pipe it to a *.txt file and copy it to you local PC, or run it with a "| more" so you can control the output.

0 Kudos