VMware Cloud Community
AmitKatkar
Contributor
Contributor

How to find VM location in VC server using VM OS

Hi,

We have muliple site with multiple ESXi 5 hosts.

I have one VM server for which i need to find out the location of ESXi server.

here i can login to VC server whereas not able to find out the ESX server which host the VM.

My question is, is there any command from VM OS which yeild the ESXi name or farm or cluster details from Vcenter server as a result?

Thanks in adv.

Thanks & Regards, V-MAN IT -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

welcome to the communities.

You can't directly obtain the hostname form inside the VM. If you wanted to do that you would need to set up some script that updates the hostname in the vmx file of the VMs before.

You can find examples here: http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2011/01/how-to-extract-host-information-from.html

Anyway, why can't you find your VM? If your display name doesn't match the VMs hostname that should be no problem since you can use the search option in vCenter to search for vm hostname, IP address, etc.

Or do you have a bajillion vCenter servers? Smiley Wink

Regards

0 Kudos
AmitKatkar
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thank you for the response.

Yes., You are correct, i can find the VM using hostname, IP address, etc...However, in this scenario, i was failed to find VN using Hostname.

I was much more curious about finding the VM location rather than troubleshooting search result as this is production VM.

Thanks once again...

Thanks & Regards, V-MAN IT -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!
0 Kudos