VMware Cloud Community
vmjim
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to control vmotion license assignment to ESX server

I have 5 ESX 3.5 U3 servers in my vCenter. Two are using host license and three are in a cluster and using server license assigned by my license server, which is running on vCenter. However, my two stand alone ESX servers that are using host license are assigned a vmotion license by my license server, and my ESX servers in my cluster but can't get a vmotion license because their assigned to the wrong ESX server.

How can I get the vmotion license released by the ESX servers that don't need it and make it availiable to my ESX server that need it? My three clustered ESX servers have shared storage for vmotion and my two ESX stand alone servers don't.

I tried simple stuff, like disconnecting servers and reconnecting ESX servers in vCenter, re-reading license files, restarting license server, etc. vCenter and license server is 2.5 U4.

Thanks in advanced. jim

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

go to the configuration tab, and click on networking, Do you have a VMkernel Port Setup? If so, edit click on the properties of the vSwitch, edit your VMkernel port settings and uncheck the box that says VMotion: enabled.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

go to the configuration tab, and click on networking, Do you have a VMkernel Port Setup? If so, edit click on the properties of the vSwitch, edit your VMkernel port settings and uncheck the box that says VMotion: enabled.

0 Kudos
vmjim
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

winner winner chicken dinner...you are correct sir. vmotion was select on the two stand alone ESX servers that did not need it. This released the vmotion license for the ESX servers that do need it. Thanks, I'm not worthy....

0 Kudos