VMware Cloud Community
Bucko
Contributor
Contributor

How to configure FC Path & Canonical Path in VC2.5 ?

Hi,

I have a little question about managing Path in Virtual Center 2.5:

I have 2 new LUNs just created with Navisphere and seen by the ESX after a rescan on the vmhba1 and vmhba2.

But, when I look in the "Configuration Tab \ Storage Adapters" and then click on my vmhba1, I see that :

2623_2623.JPG

The Path and Canonical Path aren't the same like for the others LUNs (and I have to congigure like that) :o/

=>

Do you know how could I change this to obtain :

• For LUN ID 5 : Path => vmhba1:0:5 and Canonical Path => vmhba1:0:5 (instead 2:0:5)

• For LUN ID 8 : Path => vmhba1:0:8 and Canonical Path => vmhba1:0:8 (instead 2:0:5)

Could you explain the method quite step by step if you can/have a little time, please ? Smiley Sad

Bonus question :

Is this type of configuration good, or best is to have "Path => vmhba1:0:5" and "Canonical Path => vmhba2:0:5" ?

Thank you in advance,

+

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Check your preferred path and active path for that LUN. You can use the GUI, or esxcfg-mpath -l. See if that is different for those LUNs.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
Bucko
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Thanks for your answer Kjb, I've already checked this parameters because I thought it was here. But, when you go in the "Configuration Tab \ Storage" and then select the Datastore concerned and click on "Properties", you can manage the active and/or prefered "Path" but not the "Canonical Path", can't you ?

Or in fact... I don't know how to do this change

Could you (or someone) clearly explain me how to make the "Canonical Path" parameter change, please ?

(Sorry I'm not very good with SAN parameters)

Thanks in advance,

Best regards

++

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

I was just trying to get some additional info.

Anyway, see here: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/117218

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
Bucko
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Kjb Smiley Wink

In fact the "Canonical Path" is just an information, not a configuration.

The active Path is wich one in the "Path" column and can be managed by

going in the "Manage Path" menu (Configuration / Storage / DatastoreXXX), whereas the "Canonical Path"

is just the first path the ESX Server find when he tries to connect to a specific LUN the firt time.

Generally, when you make a full "Rescan..." on the "Configuration Tab / Storage Adapters",

the ESX server starts to scan the lower HBA number and the lower device number.

For example, if you have 4 Paths to reach a LUN :

- vmhba1:0:2

- vmhba1:1:2

- vmhba2:0:2

- vmhba2:1:2

The Canonical Path will be the+ vmhba1:0:2+.

BUT, when you make a manual "Scan" by right-click directly one Storage Adapter of the ESX Server and choose "scan",

the "Canonical Path" will be the lower device number of the selected HBA.

For example, if you manually scan the vmhba2, the "Canonical Path" will be : vmhba2:0:2... and not the vmhba1:0:2 as it will be with a full "Rescan..."

If you want to change the "Canonical Path" information, you must first re-mask the specific LUN so that the ESX Server

can see it anymore, then do a "Rescan..", then unmask the LUN to make the Path available from the ESX to this LUN, and finally do a full "Rescan..."

in the "Configuration / Storage Adapters" Menu.

Is all of that correct ? (I think yes but if several ESX master can confirm, I'll be relieved Smiley Wink)

++

0 Kudos