VMware Cloud Community
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

How to combine 2 VCenter with different subnet ?

Hi,

I got 2x VCenter instance that is installed in two different subnet, one for Internal Production and one for DR site, is it possible to make them connected each other and then implementing the vcenter heart beat builtin feature ?

Thanks.

/* Please feel free to provide any comments or input you may have. */
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Ok, I'm a little bit confused.  Were you previously asking about vmotion or vcenter or esx hosts?

vCenter servers can be linked together without having to be in the same subnet.

Linking vcenters together will allow you to have a single pain of glass view for both vcenters, and allow you to search your entire inventory, but templates are handled by the individual vcenters.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can "link" 2 vCenter's together, but that simply means that when you connect your vi client to one vCenter, you can see the 2nd one listed as well.  You do that using the linked mode configuration wizard.

vCenter heartbeat is a different setup, by which you create a passive vCenter server, that will take the place of the active vCenter in case of service/hardware failure.

-KjB

AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

oh ok, so it should be working despite the subnet different and the VCenter DB different ?

so If I link them together the VMotion can work in between ? or deploying VM template ?

many thanks for your reply.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Ok, I'm a little bit confused.  Were you previously asking about vmotion or vcenter or esx hosts?

vCenter servers can be linked together without having to be in the same subnet.

Linking vcenters together will allow you to have a single pain of glass view for both vcenters, and allow you to search your entire inventory, but templates are handled by the individual vcenters.

-KjB

0 Kudos
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Ah IC, so what about the VMotion and template deployment ? does it spanned across the VCenter ?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, vmotion and templates are vcenter specific.  Further, drs is localized to a cluster, but you can vmotion between hosts in the same vcenter, as long as the pre-requisites are met, same storage, same portgroups, 1 gb, etc.

-KjB

0 Kudos