VMware Cloud Community
David_Atkinson
Contributor
Contributor

How to change the download location of update manager

I have run out of disk space and would like to move the download location to another drive on the server. Is there a configuration file for this purpose and if so what is the name?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

You can use VUM guide for details or read here.

Paths Ending With a Trailing Backslash Cause Windows Packages Import to Fail

You can import patches that were exported from Update Manager Download Service using the vmware-updateDownloadCli.exe tool. The -p or --update-path options allow you to specify the location from which to import patches. If you specify a path that ends with a backslash, the import fails. To avoid this problem, do not end paths with a backslash.

on page. 25

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
sbeaver
Leadership
Leadership

If you installed in the default path then shutdown the updatemanager service and navigate to Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager

In that folder you will find a file called vci-integrity.xml Make the change for <patchStore> and <path> copy the files from the old place to the new and restart the service

Steve Beaver

VMware Communities User Moderator

====

Co-Author of "VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center"

Coming soon to a store near you!

*Virtualization is a journey, not a project.*

Steve Beaver
VMware Communities User Moderator
VMware vExpert 2009 - 2020
VMware NSX vExpert - 2019 - 2020
====
Co-Author of "VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center"
(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach
Come check out my blog: [www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog|http://www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog/]
Come follow me on twitter http://www.twitter.com/sbeaver

**The Cloud is a journey, not a project.**
0 Kudos
mclark
Expert
Expert

The configuration file is under C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager. It is called vci-integrity.xml.

In the file you will find two locations to change. One is between the <patchstore> and </patchstore> tags. The other should be right below that in the <docRootHostUpdates> section, between the <path> and </path> tags.

Both of these paths end with a "\".

Once you set up the new paths and restart the services, you can then copy the patches and all related files from the old location to the new location.

I've done this process once or twice with no problems, but of course YMMV.

0 Kudos