VMware Cloud Community
nanair01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to cancel an Active Task

How can I cancel an active task showing on the Active task bar? I know it can be cancelled by right clicking on it and selecting cancel. But I want to know how it can be cancelled from VC secure shell window or from ESX server iLO. I have given a VM to power on but still now its showing as "In Progress" and when I right click on the task, the cancel option is been greyed out. So plz help me out to resolve this

If you find this post helpful/rectify your problem do not forget to award points
0 Kudos
6 Replies
skyenter
Contributor
Contributor

I am looking for same kind of answer for a long time but I do not have good solution yet. However, the dirty solution to accomodate is to restart VC service from service manager. I will let you know the quick and better solution if I get it Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
demz
Expert
Expert

Actually, most of the actions cannot be cancelled...

A few ones like entering maintenance mode for example can be cancelled, but they are exceptions.

0 Kudos
nanair01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

But I think they can be cancelled by killing the process. Is it?

If you find this post helpful/rectify your problem do not forget to award points
0 Kudos
skyenter
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, you can.

Ex) vmware-cmd //vmfs/volumes/47bef429-609cecc0-5826-0019b9c9de9b/servername.vmx getstate

How can I kill a stuck virtual machine?

ESX 3.0 method

• Login to the service console

• You can check the VM state by typing “vmware-cmd //server.vmx getstate”

• Type “ps -ef | grep ”

• The second column is your pid of the vmkload_app of the Virtual Machine, you can also type “ps –eaf” to see all running processes

• Type “kill -9 ”

• Check VM state again, it should now be off

• Type “vmware-cmd //server.vmx start” to power on VM

ESX 3.0 Alternate method

• Login to the service console

• Type “vmware-cmd –l” to get a list of all VM’s and there paths

• You can check the VM state by typing “vmware-cmd //server.vmx start” to power on VM

0 Kudos
nanair01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey thanks al ot for ur reply. But pl cross check the attachment i have attached with this.

This Vm is configured in an ESX server whichhas been put in a cluster configured for HA as well as DRS. So what happens right now is another ESX server in the cluster is trying to switch on this VM. But the funniest part is only this VM is switched on in the first ESX server.

So my question is can this tendency be stopped by deleting the process which u can find on the attachment?

Plz do help me out.

0 Kudos
skyenter
Contributor
Contributor

Pls try the following procedure to kill the hung VM.

• Type “vmware-cmd –l” to get a list of all VM’s and there paths

• You can check the VM state by typing “vmware-cmd //server.vmx start” to power on VM

0 Kudos