VMware Cloud Community
SEEMSS
Contributor
Contributor

How to add the vmdk file in the vsphere Client "Inventory"?

Hi All,

I want to  add the vmdk file and create a new virtual machine in  vsphere Client.

Thanks in Advance.

Seema

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

First create the vm and then attach the vmdk-file to it instead of creating a new hardisk.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
SEEMSS
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I have already created the virtual machine.  The process i followed is new->virtual m/c...

But how to attach the vmdk file. Well will it work?

Thank u

Seema

0 Kudos
SEEMSS
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I am getting this below error:

"  An unexpected error was received from the ESX host while powering on VM vm-81.
Module DevicePowerOn power on failed.
Unable to create virtual SCSI device for scsi0:0, '/vmfs/volumes/5016c958-b9837dda-f446-000c298732b1/Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition.vmdk'
Failed to open disk scsi0:0: Unsupported or invalid disk type 7.  Ensure that the disk has been imported.

"

How to resolve this error...

Please help me.

Thank you

Seema

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

From where does this virtual disk come from? From VMware Workstation/Player?

Not all virtual disk formats supported by VMware Workstation/Player are supported on ESXi and you will need to convert the virtual disk.

André

0 Kudos
SEEMSS
Contributor
Contributor

Hi André,

The vm was given to me by one of my friends, well can u give me a vm which wille  be supported by the vsphere Client.

Or just send me the link, from where i can download it.. and wich will resolve the problem.

Thank u

Seema

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The vm was given to me by one of my friends...

I'd suggest you ask your friend how the .vmdk file was created. Basically the .vmdk file represents the VM's hard disk. You can easily create new virtual machines and install an operating system as you would do it ion physical hardware.

Also remember that you need to license each copy of Windows properly, no matter whether this is installed on physically or in a virtual machine.

André

0 Kudos
SEEMSS
Contributor
Contributor

yes answered

0 Kudos