VMware Cloud Community
VMthinker
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to Start/Use vCenter Server?

Hi guys, to start off I would like to apologize for posting such a easy question to most of you but it seems that this question could not be answered by most of our staffs here. For starters I have installed a vCenter Server 4.0 on a Windows XP Pro 32 Bit. The installation went smoothly using the default SQL database that Vmware provides. However after installing the vCenter server, we could not find it anywhere! We tried to find it under All programs >> VMware >> <And Nothing!>! If I am not mistaken there should be an excecutable file like the vSphere Client shortcut located in the same directory?

So far we have concluded that the vCenter Server is installed in the computer as we looked at the Add/Remove Program list and found the vCenter Server installed! We have also enabled both vCenter Server Services but still nothing. Are we finding the vCenter Server in the wrong direction or should we access the vCenter Server through a web browser?! Any solutions would be appriciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Erm thanks for your reply but Im still abit confuse as I just want to know how to Start the vCenter server?

Is the method similar to starting the vSphere client whereby you just double click the shortcut icon?

vCenter runs as a bunch of services. The installation created these services, set them to "autostart" and started them up. Because they are set to autostart they become active each time the system is booted.

I have already installed the vCenter Server so would the vCenter Server host be the same IP address as the ESXi Server?

No, of course not. vCenter runs on a separate host under Windows. The vCenter server IP address must be unique in the IP subnet used as every host must have a unique IP address.

Again, dowhnload the vClient, start it like you would start Word (or Openoffice Smiley Happy ), enter the NetBIOS hostr name of the vCenter server or its IP address as the destination to connect to and a domain\username combination of a user who is in the local administrator group of the vCenter server.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
WaffleSniffer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

You're right in thinking that you need to run the vSphere client to manage your vCenter, however it's not actually installed as part of the vCenter Server installation. You can install it a couple of different ways:

1. Run the vSphere Client installer from the autorun screen of the vCenter media

2. Using a web browser, point it to your vCenter server and select the Download vSphere Client link

Naturally this can be done on any system, not just the vCenter server.

Hope this helps

Adam

VMthinker
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Erm thanks for your reply but Im still abit confuse as I just want to know how to Start the vCenter server?

Is the method similar to starting the vSphere client whereby you just double click the shortcut icon?

Or do you have to use a web browser to access the vCenter Server?

I have already installed the vCenter Server so would the vCenter Server host be the same IP address as the ESXi Server?

Please be patient with me....

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

vCenter runs as a bunch of services. The installation created these services, set them to "autostart" and started them up. Because they are set to autostart they become active each time the system is booted.

No, of course not. vCenter runs on a separate host under Windows. The vCenter server IP address must be unique in the IP subnet used as every host must have a unique IP address.

Again, dowhnload the vClient, start it like you would start Word (or Openoffice Smiley Happy ), enter the NetBIOS hostr name of the vCenter server or its IP address as the destination to connect to and a domain\username combination of a user who is in the local administrator group of the vCenter server.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

0 Kudos
VMthinker
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

"vCenter server IP address must be unique" = So I have to set this during the installation?

"Again, download the vClient" = Do you refer to reinstalling the vSphere client or vCenter installation process?

"enter the NetBIOS hostr name of the vCenter server or its IP address as the destination to connect to and a domain\username" =Is the syntax to input something like this on the web browser >> <vCenter Server IP Address>/ ?

Thank you for your reply but please once again be patient with me....

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

"vCenter server IP address must be unique" = So I have to set this during the installation?

The IP address is configured when you setup the OS on your server. Every host which is taking part in a TCP/IP network has an IP address. vCenter is just an application sitting on top of that OS using its communication paths.

"Again, download the vClient" = Do you refer to reinstalling the vSphere client or vCenter installation process?

The vCenter installation is one thing. That installs the backend part of that Client/Server application called vCenter.

vClient is the frontend, the GUI you need to use vCenter. It is the GUI you use to manage the ESX servers, the virtual guests and all that stuff via vCenter.

"enter the NetBIOS hostr name of the vCenter server or its IP address as the destination to connect to and a domain\username" =Is the

syntax to input something like this on the web browser >> <vCenter Server IP Address>/ ?

No, the NetBIOS name is the name of the server where vCenter is installed on. Or as I said, use its IP address.

The username must be entered in this format

0 Kudos
VMthinker
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply.

I have in fact read the entire document link you posted in above beforehand. I am just confused whereby how do I access the vCenter Server? I have a guess which is that I have to use the credentials slected during the installation process and login using those credentials via the vSphere? Could you please help me to confirm if my guess is right?

Thank you very much again...

0 Kudos
VMthinker
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have finally found the solution..... Sorry to cause you so much grueling agony over this vCenter matter..... It was a human error as I didn't see the description on the vSphere client... "enter the IP address or name of a vCenter Server"

Basically all I had to do was to provide my localhost IP address and the localhost/domain host username and password to the vSphere client.

Once again I would like to thank AWo and the first poster for being very patient with me. You deserve points!

0 Kudos
shirishh2712
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In short, after you installed your VC, a vi-client icon can be seen. There is no separate icon for VC, its just that you need to open the client icon, and in the ip space just enter the VC ip along with the necessary credentials.

if its on the local m/c itself just type localhost (along with portnumber if you specified while installation).

By this you would be able to access your VC server.

plz give score if its helpful.

Shirishh2712 VCP4.0 VTSP4.0 VSP4.0
0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You're welocme, we all started once...

AWo

VCP 3 & 4