VMware Cloud Community
tomlinsp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to Generate Certificates for Installing the Virtual Integrated Containers Appliance

I am about to deploy the Virtual Integrated Containers appliance into my vSphere / ESXi environment, and I would like to use my organization's certificate authority to create custom certificates where possible.

I've been looking for information on how to do this so I can satisfy the OVF installer requests for an Appliance TLS Cert., it's corresponding key, and then the Root CA certificate (in our case it is a chain of our intermediary followed by the root).

I've used the vCenter certificate manager to update the vSphere certificates, and also managed to update the ESXi certs, but there does not seem to be any information on how to create the key pair and CSR for the Vic appliance.

Is anyone able to point me in the right direction? I am reasonably competent with certificates but Vmware products have some caveats that are new to me.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tomlinsp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Resolved. Just create create a key using openssl then create a CSR out of the key. Use your CA to sign the CSR, then export everything to crt or pem files. If you use an intermediary CA, you will need to create a chain certificate by appending the Root CA cert to the Intermediary cert, to satisfy the signing certificate requirement.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
tomlinsp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Resolved. Just create create a key using openssl then create a CSR out of the key. Use your CA to sign the CSR, then export everything to crt or pem files. If you use an intermediary CA, you will need to create a chain certificate by appending the Root CA cert to the Intermediary cert, to satisfy the signing certificate requirement.

0 Kudos