VMware Cloud Community
jcwuerfl
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

How do you view older tasks/events

How do you view older tasks/events?  The client only allows you to go back 1000 items?  how do you see older than that ?

Thanks

Tags (3)
6 Replies
Nikhil_Patwa
Expert
Expert

Hi,

To view tasks/events greater than 1000 you will have to query the vCenter Database

check out the links below

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1984255

Nikhil

MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Open your VI Client > Edit >Client Settings > Lists > Change Page size > to number of lines desired .

If necessary close and re open your VI Client.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
jterryii
Contributor
Contributor

Changing this setting helped me to a great extent.  Your post is the closest I've come to extracting all incidents of when a virtual machine has been cloned and all the clone names.

In the Description column of the Events tab for a virtual machine, you can see events for "being cloned to (vmname) on (hostname)". I am trying to extract that historical information from the vcenter database but the Description field is not in the vxp_event table.

Any idea what the underlying sql query is to retrieve this information?

Thanks and Regards,

-John

0 Kudos
GeorgePerkins
Contributor
Contributor

The only way to see events beyond the 1,000 record limit is to use vCenter client

File > Export > Export Events ...

From there the GUI allows you to select a date range.

sakthivelramali
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Please refer the KB -kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2110031

Thanks Sakthivel R
0 Kudos
GeorgePerkins
Contributor
Contributor

Sakthivel,

If possible, please propose my answer (above) as the answer to this question.

Thanks for your post, but it is off topic. This question is how to view older events records, not how to delete them. It comes up at the top of Google searches because newbie and casual VMware vCenter users need an easy way to see more than 1,000 events.

George