VMware Cloud Community
mpjubbGaltec
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do i unregister a vm?

Morning,

After trying to revert back to a warm snapshot our vcenter server is suspended, with an error that the cpu is in a different family.

Although the VM has not changed hosts (I believe) I understand that the way to resolve this issue is to re-register the vm on the host.

We're using ESXi 4.1.  I cant find the commands or instructions on how to do this.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The VM is trying to resume from the snapshot state saved in the following file.

Apr 25 06:25:50.938: vmx| CPT: Restoring checkpoint /vmfs/volumes/4ca074a5-7f211820-c561-0023aef861ac/GAL-VC01/GAL-VC01-Snapshot3.vmsn

Unless you find out on which host the snapshot was taken or what happened (e.g. BIOS update) during the snapshot date and now, you could delete this file. The result would be comparable to a reset of the system.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

When you take a snapshot while the VM is up and running, a snapshot VMSN file is created in the VM's folder with the memory state of the VM.

The error message you get could be a result of running the VM on another host (CPU type) or a firmware upgrade, ...

What you can try to do, is to migrate the VM to the hosts on which the snapshot was taken (if this applies) by either cold migration - if possible - or removing the VM from the inventory of the current host (right click the VM -> "Remove from Inventory") and add it to the inventory of the other host (select the other host in the inventory, then right click the vmx file in the datastore browser and select "Add to Inventory")

If this does not help you can only "cold boot" (reset) the VM by deleting the VM's VMSN file for this snapshot from the datastore browser (or console).

If you are unsure, please attach the latest vmware.log file as well as a list of files in the VM's folder showing names, sizes and time stamps.

André

0 Kudos
mpjubbGaltec
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Andre.

Unfortunately I've tried all of that already except for deleting the VMSN file as it isnt there.  We tried to revert back to a snapshot rather than deleting it, and so the VMSN file has been deleted already.

The only option on the vm menu is to power on the machine.

Is their a CLI command to reset the machine?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Can you please attach the latest vmware.log file from the VM's folder to see what's going on.

André

0 Kudos
mpjubbGaltec
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here it is.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The VM is trying to resume from the snapshot state saved in the following file.

Apr 25 06:25:50.938: vmx| CPT: Restoring checkpoint /vmfs/volumes/4ca074a5-7f211820-c561-0023aef861ac/GAL-VC01/GAL-VC01-Snapshot3.vmsn

Unless you find out on which host the snapshot was taken or what happened (e.g. BIOS update) during the snapshot date and now, you could delete this file. The result would be comparable to a reset of the system.

André

0 Kudos
mpjubbGaltec
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thats got it working again, albeit with a bit of reconfiguration required.

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos