VMware Cloud Community
jobee1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How do I virtualize physical servers?

Good afternoon, 

I recently upgraded to VMware 7.0 and now I need to virtualize a couple of physical servers. I was speaking with VMware support about a different issue and mentioned that I was going to virtualize a few servers using the VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Client and the tech said they don't support using the Converter. What utility am I supposed to use to virtualize physical servers? 

Thanks,

Joe 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You got the correct information, Converter Standalone is the tool but technical support is no longer available for it.

https://www.vmware.com/products/converter.html

Download it, read about how to use it, try it, and post in the area below if you have any issues:

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Converter-Standalone-Discussions/bd-p/2505

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
niyijr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, @jobee1 vCenter Converter Standalone is the correct tool.

Check out this video walkthrough below for a guide on how to perform P2V conversions using the tool. The video shows how to do a P2V to Workstation. In your case, you just need to change the destination type to "VMware Infrastructure Virtual Machine" and enter the ESXi or vCenter credentials.

Good luck.

Enthusiast

Thanks everybody. The server is now running in my cluster. 

Thanks, 

Joe B 

0 Kudos
niyijr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Great. You're welcome @jobee1