VMware Cloud Community
Shawn_UNX
Contributor
Contributor

How do I rename a host ESX server in Virtual Center

When I joined a host to Virtual Center I used the IP address. I would like to change that to the name of the server. It will just make identifying the server easier. But I see no option to rename it. I thought I might be able to remove it from Virtual Center then add it back this time useing the DNS name. But then it warns me that all virtual machines will be lost. What is the proper way to rename a host?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

disconnect, remove ESX (yes your VM's will be removed, but they will remain running on the host server).

Add host by the name you want, and put the VM's back in the container.

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

As mentioned, make sure your DNS is resolving and also use FQDNs as well and also want to place static entries for all ESX hosts in /etc/hosts file.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
peterk213
Contributor
Contributor

I am hoping someone can give me advice for this.   I followed these steps to rename a host in vCenter and when I added the host back in, I was unable to license it because it appears that when I removed the server, the licenses were not freed up.   I have 3 ESX hosts with 2 CPU in each.  I am showing 6 CPU licenses and all in use, however only two hosts are using the license key.

I tried restarting the license server and rebooted the vCenter server.  No luck.

How do I release the licenses held by the ESX host that was renamed so it can be used again with the newly named ESX host?

0 Kudos