VMware Cloud Community
JohnW
Contributor
Contributor

How do I re-install vCenter server from scratch?

I need help reinstalling my only vCenter server from scratch.

Currently I have vCenter 4.1 running on x64 Server 2008 Standard (assume its named myserver1). This vCenter server is a physical server. The database for vCenter 4.1 is running on on a seperate physical server, running Server 2003 R2 x64 with SQL 2005 (Assumed its named myserver2). We are currently licensed for and using these plugins:

VMware vCenter Update Manager Extension

VMware, Inc.

Enabled

VMware vCenter Update Manager

extension

vCenter Converter

VMware, Inc.

Enabled

Converts physical and virtual

machines, and backup images to

VMware virtual machines.

Licensing Reporting Manager

VMware, Inc.

Enabled

Displays license history usage

vCenter Hardware Status

VMware, Inc.

Enabled

Displays the hardware status of

hosts (CIM monitoring)

vCenter Service Status

VMware, Inc.

Enabled

Displays the health status of

vCenter services

What will it take to completely re-install the vCenter server (myserver1) from scratch using Server 2008R2 Standard Operating System, using the same myserver1 name and IP address the vCenter 4.1 software, maintaining my vmwar licensing, VMware host server configurations, database etc. Will individule users need to do anything to reconnect to with the VMware vSphere client.

I'm not planning on changing onything on the SQL server or database on myserverserver2

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership

Hi John,

You can have a look at this kb about Migrating vCenter Server to a different host machine.

Hope it helps.

Regards

Franck

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcoem to the Forums - As long as you are using the same vCenter database it is quite easy - follow the steps in this guide - http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_esxi_i_vc_setup_guide.pdf - on the new vCenter box create a System DSN ODBC connector that points to the original database - when you install the software per the guig and come to the question of create a new database or use an existing database select use existing -Use an existing supported database- you will be warned about existing data do you want to delete - DO NOT DELETE - when the install is complete you shoudl have your environment in place -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
chadwickking
Expert
Expert

If you are upgrading here is a kb for upgrading to 4.1

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102163...

It may be helpful also if you are simple reinstalling

Cheers,

Chad King

VCP-410 | Server+

Twitter:

Cheers, Chad King VCP4 Twitter: http://twitter.com/cwjking | virtualnoob.wordpress.com If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
JohnW
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks weinstein5. I was hoping it was this easy. So the licensing is all maintained in the database too?

0 Kudos
JohnW
Contributor
Contributor

FranckRookie, Thanks for taking time to answer my question. I will look at the KB article about "Migrating vCenter Server to a different host machine" and make sure I follow the directions. Thanks for your feedback.

0 Kudos