VMware Cloud Community
plessm
Contributor
Contributor

How do I migrate my vCenter 4.1 U3 from one physical to server to another with a remote database?

I see a lot of documents on how to move vCenter server from one server to another, but they all include database moving with the server.  Our vCenter database runs on a remote SQL 2008 server and is not moving.  Our existing vCenter server is updated to 4.1 U3, but is on an older hardware platform that needs to be decommissioned.  I built a new Windows 2008 R2 server running on new Dell R410 server that I want to move it to.

Can I simply shut down the services on the old server, run the vCenter 4.1 U3 installer on the new server, point it to the database, and start everything up?  I'm not finding any posts of documentation on just moving the application but leaving the database in place.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
KamilAzmer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You just stop the old vCenter server services, and on the new vCenter Server, just create the DSN for SQL server, then install your vCenter Server. During the wizard will ask either to maintain the current DB or to replace the new.

@ -- visit my blog at http://www.azmer.my -- @ virtue your mind @ KamilAzmer
0 Kudos