VMware Cloud Community
EJMetz
Contributor
Contributor

How do I get a list of VMs by TIER

Is there any way to get a listing of all VMs broken down by Cluster and Resource Tier?

ie: Cluster1 Tier1 = vm1 vm2 vm3 vm4

Cluster1 Tier2 = vm4 vm6 vm7

0 Kudos
7 Replies
sflanders
Commander
Commander

In vCenter Server under Inventory you can see the datacenters, which you can expand to see clusters and then you can expand the clusters to see resource pools and then you can expand resource pools to see VMs. Does this answer your question? If not, could you be more specific?

Hope this helps! === If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". ===
0 Kudos
EJMetz
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, we know we can see this in virtual Center, but how do I get a report or export of these into an editable, searchable document we can go back to in case of a Disaster.

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander

That information is stored in the vCenter Server database. You can either export the data from there or perform regular backups onf the DB.

Hope this helps! === If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". ===
0 Kudos
EJMetz
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, we also understand that.

I am looking to see if someone has written a querry or something else the will get that data and give me a formatted list.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I bet it would be easy to get that info through powershell and PowerCli.

br>

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
sabya1232003
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Currently the only option from vCenter is to get the list exported on cluster and Datacenter Level

Select the cluster --got to Vitual Machines Tab and then Export List from File menu

Then you can consolidate the reports ..and prepare a final one

0 Kudos
EJMetz
Contributor
Contributor

We decided to just manually add the Tier designation as the first item in each VMs Notes.      

e.g.    TIER2;Test VM for exchange

Then running rvtools reports keeps a record for us incase something gets misplaced..

0 Kudos