VMware Cloud Community
gkonheiser
Contributor
Contributor

How do I edit a .VMX file in a text editor with ESXi ?

I am trying to change the video settings of my VM and I need to access the config file to do this. Ive look all over and cant find any info on how to do it. Can anyone help?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

With ESXi, you won't have a Service Console to traverse to the vmfs volume of where your VMs .vmx file is located at, you could use the VI Client and the datastore browser to locate the .vmx file and download it to your local computer for modification and reupload, ensuring the VM is powered off when you update the configuration file. What type of video setting are you trying to make? Have you gone through the VM configuration to see if you can edit without having to go to .vmx file? If you're using vSphere, you actually have the option of editing the .vmx right in vSphere client which is very nice for adding entries without having to manually edit the file but if you're using 3.5, then you'll need to manually edit the file for any settings not exposed through the VI Client.

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
gkonheiser
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your help. I am trying to increase the maximum number of displays on my VM but when I do it thou vSphere it will not take the changes. i.e. I can change the number, click OK ,but then when I go back in it is set back to 1. Is there any point to trying to edit the file directly or do you think I will get the same results?

0 Kudos