VMware Cloud Community
surfup
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How do I delete vpxuser account?

HI all,

I have problem to register one of my ESX host (version 3.02 with VC 2.02) to VC console. It gave the error "Failed to configure management account". I was able to re-register 5 other ESX hosts after change the VC to the new IP address. The ESX host in question is a part of 2 hosts "HA/DRS Cluster" that have one of the ESX host IP address changed due to the IP scheme. I believed this screw up the ESX hosts.

In one of the post they suggest to delete the user/group vpxuser from etc/password but I could not find the "password" file/dir? under /etc. So, how do I delete the vpxuser so I can re-register the ESX host back to VC console? Thanks.

PS: I am a newbie to the Linux

Cheers,

0 Kudos
3 Replies
surfup
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I found the file as /etc/passwd and it contain the vpxuser. Should I just delete the vpxuser entry and save the file? Or, do I need to do something else?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
stvkpln
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The easiest way to do this, from the command line, is to simply type userdel -r vpxuser as root... That'll do it.

-Steve
0 Kudos
surfup
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. Is this meant it will delete the user from /etc/passwd and the password from /etc/shadow files? I have to manually deleted the vpxuser from both of the files.

Cheers,

0 Kudos