VMware Cloud Community
ThierryL
Contributor
Contributor

How do I create an alarm to monitor guest vm disk space?

I'm current using VC 2.5 and create an alarm to monitor disk space usage at the datastore level. In the Triggers tab, after creating a Virtual Machine Disk Usage Trigger Type, I noticed a KBps Warning and a KBps Alert. How can I use those 2 columns so that I can monitor how much disk space I have left for my guest VMs? For example, send a warning if there's 2GB of disk space left and an alert if there's 1GB of disk space left.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Are you talking about inside the virtual machine - that is not possible from VC it will have to be done by the guest o/s -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal

You might want to look at VCPlus:

Jase McCarty

http://www.jasemccarty.com

Co-Author of VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center

(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach

Jase McCarty - @jasemccarty
0 Kudos
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You can do this with the VI Perl Tookit

diskfree.pl script

0 Kudos
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Jase,

was not aware of VCPlus..

thanx for the link. will try it asap.. looks very usefull

0 Kudos
NJKwork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry to hi-jack this thread, but I am very curious about the VCPlus tool:

1) Does the service need to be installed on the VI server itself, or can it be installed on the PC that is running the client?

2) Is is safe to use? I know this is a loaded question...but I would hate to install this on my VI server and have cause problems.

3) Does it work with the new VC 2.5 U2?

4) When will the "gold version" be released (non-beta)?

Thanks - this looks VERY cool. I have looking for something to show me snapshots on the VI client.

SB

0 Kudos
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal

When I played with it, it ran on my VC box.

I'm not really concerned with the amount of space taken up, that's the Application Folk's job. When they run out of space, they come crying, and then we whack all their unnecessary logging.

It became too much to manage (330 VM's) for one person, so I quit worrying about it.

Richard would be the one to ask the answers to 3) and 4)... as far as 1 and 2 go, I think I answered 1), and I didn't have any problems 2).

Jase McCarty

http://www.jasemccarty.com

Co-Author of VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center

(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach

Jase McCarty - @jasemccarty
0 Kudos