VMware Cloud Community
vitaprimo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How do I cancel vCenter update -- Management inaccessible for 2 days

As soon as I upgraded to vCenter 7 it already started me nagging there was an update available on the first login. The button it appeared there for precheck didn't work. I ignored it and focused on the rest of the infrastructure and only when I finished I went to the management console and staged the update.

Now the button work and got a message everything was alright and took me back to Management. I ran the update and it got stuck on starting (0%) for hours. I left it alone even more hours and when I came back I got this:

Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 20.56.32.png

Trying to nudge it out of it I opened vCSA's virtual console and restarted it with the F12 key. It was responsive and rebooted just fine. I'm still able to access vCSA but not Management. It's going on for almost 2 days now.

It seems it's just a softlock:

Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 21.08.53.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 21.12.29.png

How can I get it out of it?

It was set to back up daily before and after upgrade, that's fine when it's stable. Even weekly backups are fine. But a lot of changes took place in a single day because I was upgrading a lot of things that go with vSphere 7 and I'm not sure how big of a damage it would do if I revert a single day.

Thanks for you help.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Then probably open a support case with GSS. This is brand new and no doubt many bugs.

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi

Please refer this KB and check if it's applicable -->  VMware Knowledge Base

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
vitaprimo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

…yup, it sure has a bug or two.

I've been trying to set it back up without affecting the half-working appliance.

First I tried launching the original installer to upgrade it in place, like I did from 6.7 to 7, but it didn't let me, I needed to go up or no-go. I downloaded the newer version from VMware and it still wouldn't work because even though it's a newer build it's the same version.

I tried creating a new appliance and I made the mistake of joining it to the SSO domain because I thought it would be easier to move the cluster to the new appliance, it failed.

I tried recovering, this time it would not let me because it needed to be the exact same version and I used the newer build I had just downloaded.

Then, I used the same version and it kept making such a fuss of using the same data as the appliance currently live on the cluster. I relented and gave it another IP address, only to have at the very end a message telling me I could now shut down the other appliance. Why the fuss then? Doing things without vCenter and DRS off is way more difficult. I managed though, I had to change IP addresses. It failed restoring.

I did it again, to the book, it failed restoring again.

I thought f***-it and started a new appliance from scratch, with the new build, and though it's now running alongside the old one. I accessed its Management to shut it down and snapshot it before trying for the last time to restore it, and Management showed this:

Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 05.36.12.png

I panicked there for a minute but it went away in private mode, I'm recycling addresses, so something must have been left from my previous attempts. Smiley Happy

It's now off so, here I go…  

0 Kudos
lgzcoollg
Contributor
Contributor

Do you fix it?

I meet the same problem😂. Just I can login and always  stay at Update installation is in progress 0%. 

0 Kudos
lgzcoollg
Contributor
Contributor

aHa, I fix it.

This may help u.

Accessing the VAMI returns error "Update installation in progress" after recovering from a failed update (67179)

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/67179?lang=en_us

In order to resolve the issue perform the following:

1. Login to the appliance using ssh
  2. Take a backup copy for the file "/etc/applmgmt/appliance/software_update_state.conf" to a different location
  3. Stop the applmgmt service by running command: service-control --stop applmgmt
  4. Remove the "software_update_state.conf"
  5. Start the applmgmt service using command: service-control --start applmgmt
  6. Login to the VAMI to validate the access
Tags (1)