VMware Cloud Community
KlinikenLB
Contributor
Contributor

How can NDS users logon to Virtual Center 2.5?

For we don't have an ADS, but a NDS, I created all the VM users in the local user database of my Virtual Center Management Server 1.x and 2.0 .

Now I have VC2.5 running and heard that it also supports LDAP.

I will have to add some new VC users. Is it meanwhile possible to work with the NDS users via LDAP (or over any other way)? I am no friend of many user administrations ...

Thanks, Dietmar

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

As far as I know you can authenticate against ESX via LDAP, but not against the VC Server. Maybe this is possible via LDAP authentication against an existing AD, but therefore you need an AD.

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
scerazy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The ONLY way I see that could be done is with Zenworks DLU Policy

But that would require Novell Client on VC server (something that I did not want to try)

Seb

0 Kudos
KlinikenLB
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I was also already thinking about Novell Client and DLU. But there are two questions:

1.) Does anybody have experience with Novell client on VC 2.5 Management Server? Any known problems?

2.) Does the client realy solve my problem? Because: when some users connect to VC over VIC or browser, how will the VC server get the corresponding DLU users from the NDS?

Regards, Dietmar

0 Kudos
scerazy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The user to be able to connect to VC Client first would need to ONCE login to the server itself with DLU policy set to NON volatile (so the user & profile stays on a server)

Not ideal, but as I said, the only way I can think of

Seb

0 Kudos
KlinikenLB
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Seb,

so you mean:

1.) you have already installed the Novell client without problems for the VC server itself?

2.) if you use the solution with DLU, then the VC user has to attch to the VC server (by RDP or something) and to login there to his NDS account? But in my environment I have many different VC users (with different VC roles) who use VC at the same time. So your solution would not work?

Thanks for your answers.

Dietmar

0 Kudos
scerazy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would, make user login once then YOU as admin assign them the roles, from then on they can connect via VC client

All that DLU does is create user account on this local server with NO intervention from you

I do not use it, as I do not need it, but I use Novell Client on other W2K3 servers that need it

Seb

0 Kudos