VMware Cloud Community
ping_song
Contributor
Contributor

How can I upgrade VirtualCenter and keep the configuration when I use the Microsoft SQL server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 2

I want to upgrade VC2.5-64201 to VC2.5-84782.My VirtualCenter use the Microsoft SQL server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 2.

When I install the VC2.5-84782,installer shew the database will be overwrite.select "yes" ,the database will be overwrite,Install complete and login VritualCenter,every configuration is lost.

select "no",installer can't continue.

question:

How can I upgrade VirtualCenter and keep the configuration when I use the Microsoft SQL server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 2?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
taits
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not sure why you don't get to continue if you select "No" but if you can't continue to upgrade VC then I'd backup the VC / UM databases and then select "yes" and then restore from the .BAK files created into the appropriate databases... Do you have automated back up configured for your SQL Express db's? If not then this is a great article on how to do that - http://www.sqldbatips.com/showarticle.asp?ID=27

Regards

Cameron2007
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have seen lots of discussion threads on the limitations of SQL2005 Express and the general concensus is whenever you need to upgrade VirtualCenter the database gets overwritten and you lose your data. Additionally SQL Express has limitations on database size and is only good for small environments. I think you should either backup and restore or move to another SQL platform 2000 SP4 or 2005 full version.

0 Kudos