VMware Cloud Community
jjonesjr
Contributor
Contributor

How can I refresh a map w/o restarting the VIC?

OK, I've got to be missing something... I'm moving a bunch of stuff around, storage wise and have found my first real practical use of maps... But everytime I make a change, I have to close the vc client and re-open it to get the info on the maps to update... I tried right clicking on stuff, hitting F5, Vew, Refresh doesn't exist... Anyone know if there's a way?

Thanks,

Jim

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Please clarify, what changes are you making that are not showing up?

I changed the network segment for a VM, then checked and un-checked a relationship box, clicked apply relationships, and then refresh updated my map.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
jjonesjr
Contributor
Contributor

we're doing storage vmotions... checking different map options and re-applying does not show the changes... but closing the vc client and re-opening it does show the changes.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Have you waited a certain amount of time. I'm just wondering if there is an update interval before the maps are updated. Good to know.

-KjB

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

So, you have selected options and applied settings already? Just wanted to be sure.

Thanks

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Perhaps the larger question is what are you using the maps for? Do you need to monitor every single vmotion on your cluster?

Once you make the changes you need, go into the map print it / copy it at that moment. Obviously it shows the changes, but only after a restart of the VC, so once you have it the way you want, save the map, print it or copy it right then.

Maybe it would help if can understand why you need a dynamic map? You need up to the second updates?

0 Kudos
jjonesjr
Contributor
Contributor

Yep, no amount of time passing makes it update, even after changing the map relationship options... I'm not looking for a real-time solution, but while we move stuff between data-stores it is nice to see what we have left to do without having to close the vc client... we're clearing out some datastores so that we can reconfigure the luns on the san. gotta love storage vmotion Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
glynnd1
Expert
Expert

How about working from the command line?

ls /vmfs/volumes/LUN_to_empty//.vmdk

0 Kudos
FireDog7881
Contributor
Contributor

I know what you are talking about I have the same problem. I have noticed if I look at a map on a different cluster then go back to the cluster that I want the map to update on it usually updates at that point. There used to be a refresh button on the top right prior to VC 2.5. After I updated the client with 2.5 the refresh went away. I wish they would put it back.

0 Kudos