VMware Cloud Community
DCTony
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How Many Virtual Centers?

I'm working on a project that will have 40+ hosts divided among 4 data centers. Each data center is in a different state in the U.S. covering from coast to coast. What's the best practice for the virtual center? Should I have one VC at Headquarters with each data center defined inside the VC or should each data center have it's own VC? Is anyone else doing something along these lines?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
raadek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Another question: what is the DR strategy for this company? Do some/all of these datacentres act as fail-over targets in a case of an outage somewhere else?

If that's the case, then VC is really needed both at the fail-over source & target (e.g. that is what SRM requires)

Regards.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Both will work well - I have seen both being implemented - In my view the driving factor will be the reliability of the WAN form HQ to each datacenter because if it is not stable you will see the ESX servers becoming disconnected -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think it all depends on connectivity between all the sites. I mean having a single vCenter Server would be easier for administration purposes. But if connectivity is not ideal, then you probably would be better off adding a vCenter instance into each site.

We have 4 vCenter Servers here, that are all local and it is sometimes a bit of a headache to find out which guest is where and what vCenter Server is managing what Hosts.

cheeko
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

As already mentioned that basically depends on your WAN.

Organisation and regulatory restrictions probably also lead you in one or the oder direction.

This doc might help:

Proven Practice: ROBO - Managing Remote ESX Hosts Over WAN with VirtualCenter

http://viops.vmware.com/home/docs/DOC-1144

raadek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Another question: what is the DR strategy for this company? Do some/all of these datacentres act as fail-over targets in a case of an outage somewhere else?

If that's the case, then VC is really needed both at the fail-over source & target (e.g. that is what SRM requires)

Regards.

0 Kudos
williambishop
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Until he gets back. Yes, I believe he mentioned that they are failovers for each other.

--"Non Temetis Messor."
0 Kudos
DCTony
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, each site will have a sister site that it will be the failover site for. SRM hasn't been purchased yet, but it is probably phase two. vFoglight has also been purchased. I haven't used it, but it's my understanding that you can manage multiple Virtual Centers from it?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I am not sure about the ability of vFoglight to manage multiple instances of vCenter. I have been using the VC Administrator Portal. Although not the perfect solution it is somewhat federated.

Here is a link if interested

http://communities.vmware.com/community/beta/vcadminportal

0 Kudos