VMware Cloud Community
hobx
Contributor
Contributor

Hot move of Virtual Center

Hi all,

I have a client using VCenter running on a virtual machine within an ESX3 infrastructure. This is currently installed on a german copy of Windows 2003 and needs to be moved to an english version. Given that there are twenty odd virtual servers, we cannot afford to shut down while this move takes place. Could someone advice me of the steps required for a hot move of a vcenter? Is it even possible?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
lholling
Expert
Expert

All you need do is setup your new Virtual Centre and then you will need to bring the ESX hosts over to it one at a time.

You will not need to shut the ESX hosts down just remove them from the old VC and add them to the new one.

Leonard...

---- Don't forget if the answers help, award points
0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

If you do a new install with a new VC database, then you will lose things like user permissions, HA/DRS setup, resources pool setup, etc when you move the hosts to a VirtualCenter server. You would also have to put ESX hosts that are part of a cluster in maintenance mode to move them.

You might instead want to consider just swaping out the current VC server with the new one. This will be fairly easy if the database for VC is on a another server already. If that's the case the you would need to shutdown the current host, install on the new with the same IP / hostname as the old one. When you come to the db setup portion of VC, you would use the existing database being careful not to overwrite the contents of the existing db. Once the server install would be done, you would reboot and it would function is place of the old server.

0 Kudos
hobx
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the info guys. Swapping the servers seems like the way to go, but are there any issues with having the first VC powered down while I configure the second? Will the vmware images still run without issues?

Cheers

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Your VMs will continue to run without interruption. If you have HA configured that will continue to work without the VC server, but DRS will not. Any admin tasks that you would perform via VC obviously will be down, but you'll still be able to point the VI client to a specific host if you need to work on any of them while VC is down. As an aside, make sure to backup the VC database before you start this process just in case.

0 Kudos
hobx
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. I'll post back with the results after I'm done.

0 Kudos