VMware Cloud Community
dingding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Host profile compliance

i have created a host profile, just after creation, i check the profile compliance, as expected it's compliant. then i edit the profile and add a advanced parameter: Disk.MaxLUN, and set value to 32. the current value is 256. when i check the compliance again, it's still compliant, why?

---- Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

There's a good chance it does not capture the advanced parameters. There are few things that Host Profiles does not capture such as iSCSI configurations and duplex settings and it could also be the case for advanced parameters. You may want to log a ticket with VMware Support and verify to see if this may be a bug or not

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

KNardi
Contributor
Contributor

Can someone please tell me why I would need a Host profile?

thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Host Profile's are only available in vSphere Enterprise Plus and you don't NEED it, but it is a time saver.

>Host Profiles — Host profiles simplify host configuration management through user-defined configuration policies. You can use profile policies to eliminate per-host, manual, or UI-based host configuration and efficiently maintain configuration consistency and correctness across the entire datacenter. Host profile policies can capture the blueprint of a known, validated "golden" configuration and use this to configure networking, storage settings, security settings, and so on for multiple hosts. Host profile policies also monitor compliance to standard host configuration settings across the datacenter. Policies simplify host configuration management in small and large environments

http://www.vmware.com/support/vsphere4/doc/vsp_40_new_feat.html

0 Kudos
KNardi
Contributor
Contributor

Awesome!! thanks again Troy

0 Kudos
janskey
Contributor
Contributor

I experience the same issue and post it in my blogs: http://vsomething.wordpress.com/2010/09/13/vsphere-host-profile-bug/

Jann

0 Kudos