VMware Cloud Community
mattman555
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Host migration from NEWER vCenter Server to older version

Has anyone moved hosts currently connected to a newer version of vCenter Server 4.1.0 to an older build?

Example - 4.1.0 build 345044 to 4.1.0 build 208111

If you have what were some of your experiences (tips and tricks) with this type of migration?

Thanks,

Matt..

Matt Mancini VMWare TAM Advanced Technlogy Network Group (ATNG) Leader / Founder Former Phoenix VMUG Leader / vExpert2009-2012 matt.mancini@atngroups.com -- Follow my blog at vmexplorer.wordpress.com -- Twitter @vmexplorer -- Follow ATNG on Linkedin or Twitter @ATNGroups
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

should be no problem.  Disconnect the host from the old vCenter, then remove.  From there add host to the new.  they vpx agent will be re-installed and your host should be added to inventory with no issue.

You will lose historical data though...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

should be no problem.  Disconnect the host from the old vCenter, then remove.  From there add host to the new.  they vpx agent will be re-installed and your host should be added to inventory with no issue.

You will lose historical data though...

0 Kudos
mattman555
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Troy!

Your reply was pretty much what I was thinking too, and if a host has an uninstall issue I might need to do a manual uninstall of the agent.

Another thought was, the vm's have a newer version of vmtools and by moving their hosts to an older version of vCenter Server would this affect the vmtools version in someway?

Matt Mancini VMWare TAM Advanced Technlogy Network Group (ATNG) Leader / Founder Former Phoenix VMUG Leader / vExpert2009-2012 matt.mancini@atngroups.com -- Follow my blog at vmexplorer.wordpress.com -- Twitter @vmexplorer -- Follow ATNG on Linkedin or Twitter @ATNGroups
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

VMware tools are directly related to the host version, so there's nothing to worry about them or the VMs.

André

Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

as I was replying a.p.s email came through.... I can't type fast enough.

S_D
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I'm curious why you're moving to an older vCenter Matt? What's the use case?

Sean

0 Kudos
mattman555
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey Sean...

We hare having 2 issues with vCenter Server 4.1.0 345044 and it might mean we have to roll back.

Issuse 1 - Its now a known issue that editing exisiting templates fail, you can fix this (see kb URL below) however if you restart the vCenter Service you'll have the same problem again Smiley Happy

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102536...

Issue 2 - When acknowledging alarms we get the error Call “AlarmManager.SetAlarmStatus” for object “AlarmManager” on vCenter Server “[your vcenter server here]” failed.

I have an open ticket with vmware right now and they are working the issue.

Rollback Plan -

I'm talking with support about a roll back plan from 4.1.0 345044 to 258902 while preserving the database.  However if the issues above can be resolved then we might not need to roll back.

Thanks...

Matt..

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Matt,

Can you give me the PR number so I can have our TAM track this bug.... Thanks!!

0 Kudos