VMware Cloud Community
tolaite
Contributor
Contributor

Host based licenses to VC

Hi

I'm having problems with joining my ESX 3,5 std and ESX 3,03 ent servers to VC. I'm not going to use vmotion so is there any good reason to use server based licensing? Both ESX servers are installed with host based licensing. If I change the licenses to server based licensing will there be downtime at any time on this proces, or can I do this online?

If my VC goes down and I want to rollback to host based licensing will there come downtime or problems?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the forums,

I'm having problems with joining my ESX 3,5 std and ESX 3,03 ent servers to VC.

what sort of problems?

>I'm not going to use vmotion so is there any good reason to use server based licensing?

You need to user server based licensing to utilise VirtualCenter

Both ESX servers are installed with host based licensing. If I change the licenses to server based licensing will there be downtime at any time on this proces, or can I do this online?

There will be no downtime changing the licensed form Host based to Server based, just make sure that you build the license server, and the VC first, create your server based license with your ESX licenses in and add the PROD-VC license to the file.

all you need to do then is change your license type in the VIC and point it to the License server and you are good to go from the host view of things.

then just register the hosts in VC for management purposes.

futher to that if you have a current SA you can bring your 3.0.x host upto 3.5 level.

If my VC goes down and I want to rollback to host based licensing will there come downtime or problems?

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
tolaite
Contributor
Contributor

The problem was that I could not join the ESX hosts to the VC. There is posts on this forum that this should be possible with host based lisencing.

Changed to server based lisenging and no problems with VC after that.

0 Kudos